Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: abomination indeed!

From: wagreiner@ucdavis.edu ()
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1993 00:32:38 GMT
Subject: Re: abomination indeed!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@ucdavis.edu (News Administrator)

In article <930805165631_555063.0_FHI31-1@CompuServe.COM> MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM (Mike Mendelson) writes:
>Has anyone else had the misfortune of tuning in to MuchMusic or MTV at
>the
>wrong moment and being assaulted by this abomination?
>
>     Well, luckily I'm not a RIPOFF, err I mean CABLE subscriber,
>     so I never tune in to EmptyV.  But I was subjected to a
>     heinous AND irritating rendition of Graceland by Willie
>     Nelson with Paul Simon on guitar on SNL some months ago.
>     I too fail to understand why anyone would lend this
>     washed up hillbilly good songs and esp. in the case of
>     Simon play second fiddle to the guy as he butchers
>     *your* song.  The record industry and respectable people
>     continue to amaze and befuddle.  Go sing with Julio
>     Iglasias, Willie!  Does *anyone* like this guy??!
>
>     -mjm

Well, actually, yes.  The album the two songs you mention is from is called
"Across the Borderline" and I think it's excellent overall.  The only three
songs on it that I don't like are "Graceland," "Don't Give Up," and
"What was it you Wanted."  The first is just a bad song choice, since it really
is a good song but it just isn't a Willie type song.  "Don't Give Up" fails
because 1) O'Conner appears, and 2) it isn't that strong of a song.  I don't
even like the Gabriel/Bush verson all that much, and although I think Kate
is an excellent singer, I don't think she saves it from being one of Gabriels
weakest tracks.  I don't like "What was it you Wanted" probably because I like
the Bob Dylan original so much better, and I just get the feeling that Willie
doesn't realise how nasty and cynical this song is.  There are, however,
eleven other songs on the CD and many are real gems including his duets with
Dylan "Heartland" and Bonnie Raitt "Getting Over You," his own "Still is Still
Moving to Me," and (my highlight) a nice version of Willie Dixon's "I Love the
Life I Live."  (Simon's "American Tune" isn't too bad either.)  Sorry I
took so long on this non-Kate material, but repeated attacks require rebuttles!

Kate content:  Haven't heard any of the new songs yet (probably won't get to
until the release date) but the descriptions don't frighten me yet.  I hope
that there are "simple ballads" as someone mentioned since that has always
seemed to me to be Kate Bushes greatest strength (as in "Under the Ivy.")
I love "The Dreaming" but I don't think she always needs all that extra sound
in back of her.  It always suprised me that many people think of Bush as
being at her best only when being "weird."  (Or innovative as some peolpe like
to call it.)  I wouldt mind a whole album of Kate singing things like
"The Handsome Cabin Boy."  It sounds great, is moving, and probably wouldn't
take 4 years to put together!  :-)

Wade Greiner