Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stating the obvious

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 16:51:41 PDT
Subject: Stating the obvious
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

First, on a personal note:
Jon- I can't go to Chicago this weekend 'cause my parole officer won't lend
me her AK47.

Now, to all:  Yes, I should have said Sandman #53 (hey, just be glad I
spelled "Sandman" correctly!).  Mea culpa.

Also, I know that Kate based "The Handsome Cabin Boy" on an Olde English
Folk Song, but let's consider some facts:

1)  Neil Gaiman is known to like Kate (I'll have to go look up the exact
issue, I think it's 4 or 5 - it's in the "Preludes and Nocturns" anthology);
after all, he quotes her ("See the sun rise in the hand of the man.") as
one of the character's dying words.  I'll have to look that up, too (Geez,
who do you think I am, IED, the Cecil Adams of Katefans?)

2)  One can not like Kate without being, as IED so wonderfully put it,
a "fucking Kate fanatic".

3) One can therefore assume that Neil is indeed a KateFan (tm).  So he's
undoubtedly aware of the Kate Song "The Handsome Cabin Boy".

4)  Neil like Tori Amos.  While I know a few Katefans (tm) who don't like
Tori, I've yet to meet anyone who likes Tori but not Kate.  This strengthens
point 3.

5)  Neil is one of those smug literary Brits, so he's undoubtedly aware of
the Olde English folksong "The Handsome Cabin Boy" (Hell, he probably knows
the deleted verses, too!)  My prediction:  In an upcoming issue, one of those
characters who've lived for hundereds of years will be... Kate Bush!  (Who
will be, of course, lovers with Hob, or something like that...)

- Stev0 the Logical

P.S. Happy Birthday, Kate, wherever you are.  And thanks for The Dreaming.
And The Hounds of Love.  OK, and Never For Ever, too.  Alright, alright,
and The Sensual World and The Kick Inside.  And all the B-sides and misc.
other work.  OK, OK, and Lionheart, too.  BUT THAT'S IT!

P.P.S. Geez, you folks, this is the last time I try to put in a serious
plug here (re: Sandman 53).  I'll just stick to standing around insulting
Chris 'n' Jorn, is that what you want?