Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HOLD IT!!!!

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: 30 Jul 1993 15:05:09 GMT
Subject: Re: HOLD IT!!!!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9307282300.AA23153@hivnet.ubc.ca> Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca writes:

>I believe I suggested sending a digest to Kate (and making sure we were on
>our best behaviour) last week sometime. Can someone please check?
>HERETIC@?? (oops, forgot :)  we were talking about this also.
>
>Nice idea Jorn, but I beat'cha to it.

God forbid you shouldn't get credit for your idea, eh?  Of course, Jorn's
idea was notably different.

>Jeffry:  does that make it a good idea now?  :-)  I don't think one should
>discount a good idea just because one did not like the person suggesting it.
>But, I know, you were at least partly kidding, right?

It's amazing that you picked me to criticize and not Lazlo.  Go back and
read my post.  I never said *anything* positive or negative about
Jorn's idea (about which I basically agree with Druk...Jorn's tender
sensibilities should be bright enough to have Stev0, Jorn, me, Chris, and
anybody else he just can't stomach in his killfile.  Why the hell does he
care how many lines his killfile has?).  No, I wasn't saying anything about
Jorn's idea.  I was making fun of one of his older, insane rants in which
he accused me of all sorts of silly things like flaming him once in person
and once behind an anonymous posting, as well as being some sort of
egomaniacal leader of the ectophiles with the power to convince them to
flame Jorn just because I say so.  The joke of my post was made even more
so by the fact that, as far as I know, Lazlo isn't even an ectophile!

I quite honestly believe that Jorn is suffering from paranoia (with the
attendent delusions of grandeur) and that he *really* ought to seek
professional help.

>The kill file idea is a good one.  I don't know how to make one... but I've
>survived so far :-)

In rn (and I believe a few other newsreaders) the default directory used
is ~/News.  Within that directory are a series of directories with the
hierarchical names of the newsgroup.  In the bottom level is a file
called, appropriately, KILL.  So a killfile for Love-Hounds would
reside in ~/News/rec/music/gaffa.  There are all sorts of different commands
you can put in a killfile, which are noted in the man pages to the newsreader.

If there's a subject you want to kill, just type [shift]-K whilst reading
that article.  The appropriate command will automatically be placed in the
killfile (if necessary, the software will automatically create the appropriate
directories and the actual file KILL).  The killfile is only acted upon
when you first select a newsgroup, so you'll need to quit out and then
restart that newsgroup to kill the articles.

If you want to kill a particular person's articles, for instance, me, you
can insert commands into the killfile.  Either call up the file with your
favorite editor from your shell *or* type [control]-K from within rn and
it'll automatically call up your editor with the correct killfile ready
for editing.  Try the command:  /jeffy@syrinx/h:j (on its own line).  This
will kill any article posted by me.  It won't kill articles that quote me.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "When I look in the mirror, I see a little clearer/ |
|SAFH Lite [tm]       |  I am what I am and you are you too./  Do you like  |