Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Aspel-Rocket-Wogan tape tree?

From: jorn@chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 01:47:10 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Aspel-Rocket-Wogan tape tree?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

I think I have about five volunteers for the tape tree's top level.
I'm pretty sure it will have *both* Rocketmans, and Aspel.  (I think
the official Rocketman video is brilliant and stunning and magical.)

There are delays getting this all transferred with reasonable fidelity.
(The Aspel is not stereo, I don't think.)  At least another week before
I can ship.

MoP is a tearjerker, fer sure.  If you hate tearjerkers, best bugger off
;^)   If it weren't so explicitly about death, it would make a perfect
[blasphemy alert!] AT&T commercial song, tugging exactly the heartstrings
they go for.

I've been wondering if this song could be one of the Red-Shoe *film* songs.
The 'Red Shoes' of her art having regretfully reduced the number of moments
of pleasure she was able to share with these people.

If so, we might expect the whole album/film to be as uncharacteristically
autobiographical as MoP is.

Other bits:

Michael Powell died in 1990, I found out.
On the video, it *does* sound like "George the wipe".
The comment about the words not fitting right is true in one place, at least.
The melody is so... bland? that I think in this case the lyric came first.

I wish she were not so sad.  Her music has been so full of sadness, TSW
and even HoL...