Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Opinions

From: RIDLEY@glerl.noaa.gov
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 9:15:28 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Opinions
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

I thought this news group (or what ever it's called) would be my absolute
favorite. I love Kate Bush's music. I know very little about her personal
life or much about her music that isn't released on her "main" albums, since
I don't own any b-sides or boots or the Whole Story Boxed set. I also don't
spell very well. And my grammar isn't that good when I'm sitting here on
a computer that won't let me edit (not that I even care.)

What's my point? My point is that people on this news group are just way
to NITPICKY.

Jon Drukman made a good point. He may not have said it in a way that everyone
understood it, but it is a good point. Here is what I think he was trying to
say:

  Everyone's opinion is there own and is of equal value to everyone elses
opinion. This is the first point. And it is undisputable.

  Everyone judges other peoples opinions and decides on their own personal
beliefs what varue that opinion has to them. Ah.... do you see? So, if some-
body who had only heard one Kate Bush song and wrote to the group saying
'Kate bush SUCKS WATERMELONS!' 99% of us would take that as a "stupid
opinion." We judged his/her opinion and deamed it worthless. It is not
worthless to others though. The opinion itself is priceless, our interpretation
of the opinion is that it is bogus. (does that make sence?)

  Here's another example: Professors at Colleges. (since this was brought up
before) We go to college because we value the opinions of the professors there.
Most educated people (not ALL educated people) base the value of other people's
opinions on their intelligence of the subject. We go to college because that
is where the smart people are and we will value their opinions more than a
bum on the streets opinion. There opinions have an equal value, we just
judge them differently.

  Also, I must mention that I am not stupid. I know the difference between
fact and opinion. In math, mostly everything is fact based. An uneducated
person would have a hard time teaching math. History is MOSTLY fact based,
but it has a lot of opinion thrown in. Some other subjects could be
completely opinion based.

  We, as a society, have been evolving to where we consider the educated
person far above the uneducated person. This in itself is a form of
bigotry. Keep that in mind.

Aaron Ridley
Ridley@glerl.noaa.gov