Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Moments of Pleasure"

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 10:48:49 GMT
Subject: "Moments of Pleasure"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: UseNet News Admin <cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

First impressions: a slow ballad with piano and great strings
arrangement. I felt there was a drum track missing somewhere, but
maybe thats just me 8-) Not awfully original, musically, but
emotionally powerful. Very sentimental lyrics - references to Ma, Al
Murphy ("Smurf"), Bill Duffield, "Teddy at Abbey Road" (who?) etc.
Reminiscent of Tori Amos, but without so much histrionics 8-)

As promised, we've made a couple of audio files from a cassette dub of
Evan's video recording of the Aspel show and I've just put them up for
anon FTP from ftp.epcc.ed.ac.uk in pub/local/audio/kate. At the moment
we have two Sun/NeXT-format 8kHz 8-bit mono u-law files: "moments3.au"
is 1.4Mb (to fit on an HD floppy) and comprises the first 3 mins;
"moments5.au" is 2.5Mb and has the full 5m20s song. Might be one or
two jumps due to disk thrashes while we were recording it on our
Indigo, but sounds reasonable to me. If anybody wants 16-bit AIFC
format, we have that too, but they're twice as big and we're running
short of disk...

Thanks to Flump for the transcription - my typing just isn't up to
it...

KaTe looked great; blue-grey trouser suit, beige blouse. Slimmed down
a bit since "Rocket Man". Seemed a little nervous.

Can't wait to hear Lenny Henry on the album...8-)

Now, where's the nearest video digitiser....
--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK. (+44 31 650 5978)