Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hi from a Gaffa virgin

From: Kaia Kruus <kruus@utcc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1993 00:46:43 -0400
Subject: Hi from a Gaffa virgin
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi, Love-hounds.

Well, this is my first posting on Gaffa; I just discovered you a few
days ago.  First I want to say that I share everybody's enthusiasm
about KaTe's new album.  I would appreciate a possible Canadian
release date, if available.

I noticed, over the past few days, two or three postings from people
sharing how they "discovered" Kate, and I would like to share my
experience, if you'll lend me a friendly ear:

In the winter of 1983, I came down with an amazing case of the flu,
resulting in my lounging around for a few days.  A friend came to visit
and brought along a copy of "N4E".  I wasn't particularly eager to hear
it, the main reasons being that I didn't know Kate, and it was a boring
old home made tape without the great cover artwork.

So, anyway, I go to bed that night, and my temperature just shoots up
and up and up, to 103F.  In the middle of the night, covered in sweat
and slightly delirious, I stick the tape into my tape player, which
was right by my bed, on my night table, and Kate starts playing...  I am,
as I said before, delirious in the wacky way only a high fever can bring
, and there's Kate singing...

I woke up in the morning with the certainty that I had had experienced
a *major* spiritual experience during the night.  Feeling better (the
fever having abated), I replay the tape and whooops!  here I go again,
transported to Bushland....  As soon as my nose returned to its usual
flesh-coloured shade (having previously been an angry red), I ran to
the record store and bought "TKI", "Lionheart" and the actual "N4E"
album.

10 years later and the love affair (one sided as it may be) is still
going on.  "TKI" is still my favourite album, and I personally think
that "Moving" is the best song ever ever ever recorded in the whole
entire universe and beyond.  So there.

So, I want to say that I really enjoy reading all of you people's postin
gs.  I lack the expertise that you have, but hey, my heart's with you
in a big way.

P>S>: Can someone tell me a little more about this "Happy Rhodes"
person, like, are her albums readily available anywhere?  Is her
music reminiscent of Kate's?  Of Tori's?  How about her voice?
Thanks for any info!
--

 <-OO->
  |__|