Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*Ron's* CD project

From: jorn@chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1993 10:29:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: *Ron's* CD project
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

A few cautionary comments re the CD-ROM:

1) Ron and I convinced Tom of C-Side to devote half a page in his pricelist
to "Cloudbusting" on diskette, in several formats, at a negligible cost.
This pricelist reaches pretty much every serious collector.  Considering
how few of these will have CD-ROM capability, what percentage of the Cb
sales would you expect the CD to achieve?  (Sales figures to follow, in
a later post.)

2) Ron's "Deeper Understanding", I'm only beginning to appreciate, makes
the task of subject indexing unnecessary.  It *is* a by-subject sorting of
the entire archive.  (Did my "DeepEST Understanding" message get thru?
I think there's a great need for one (or more) further winnowings of this.)

3) The payback for trimming 80 Mb of headers is miniscule compared to the
consequent tedium and potential botch-ups, imho.

4) I'm totally enthusiastic about the idea of making such a CD available.
But I'm a little concerned that people may be forgetting that this is
*Ron's* three-year labor of love, which he's conceived as a CD from the start,
and all ought to defer to his wishes, since his 'sweat equity' outweighs
everyone else's *combined*, and would be the parts of the disc *I'd* access
by far the most frequently....

jb