Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brightman

From: Flump <D.M.Woodhead@loughborough.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 17:02:38 BST
Subject: Re: Brightman
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Kate-Mailing)

Les Cheung writes:

>I saw on MuchMusic the other night an interview with Sarah Brightman.  She was
>talking about her first "contemporary" release entitled "Dive".  She described
>it as being a combination of Enya and Kate Bush...but definitely Sarah
>Brightman. ...

Erm, more like a combination of Enigma and Madonna.

> ... Soooooooooo I rushed out to the record store and picked it up.
>Boy was I disappointed! ...

I bought it 'cos I have some of her other albums. I didn't even know she had a
new album out until I saw it in the music shop. I was definately _not_
disappointed. Surprised, yes: I never thought of her as a trash pop/dance
artist (Although I suppose the production team had more to do with the sound
of the album than ms Brighman (correct me if I'm wrong)

>...  The first single is OK (Captain Nemo) but the most of
>the others sound too similar...both vocally and musically. ...

But doesn't most modern pop music sound similar? This album will probably
outsell her previous work just by being _normal_

>...  The biggest shock
>was that her voice (incredible in the Phantom of the Opera) sounded like...like
>....Madonna?  Very thin and limited. ...

Granted, her voice is not the strongest in the music business. In Phantom, her
non-singing voice (and sometimes her singing voice) seems brittle enough to
snap. Let's call it _delicate_ shall we? On the subject of sounding like
Madonna, the first time I listened to track 3 on Dive, the tune, rhythm,
vocals and practically everything apart from the lrics reminded me of 'Like a
Prayer'

>... I've never been a big fan of Enya ...

Sinner , sinner, sinner!

>... but even
>she should feel insulted by Sarah's outrageous claim! ...

Fair enough, you've got a point there!

>...  Needless to say...Kate
>has nothing to worry about. :)

I think we can all take this point for granted. Does any artist pose a threat
to KaTe?

To be fair to ms Brightman, I loved Dive. There are some amazing songs such as
the cover of Procal Harem's 'Salty Dog', Once in a Lifetime, Johnny Wanna Live
and La Mer.
You can also play games with the dancy style tracks - spot the sample loop. I
wonder, did Enigma have anything to do with this album?

Have Fun,
        Flump

--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Life is a ride, it can be changed - Bill Hicks =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                         The being with the seeing

-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Deeper, deeper, somewhere below there is a light. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-