Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Waking the Witch

From: jean anne kirwin <jkirwin@s850.mwc.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 15:42:23 EDT
Subject: Waking the Witch
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET, jkirwin@s850.mwc.edu
Mailer: Elm [revision: 66.25]

Hey guys -

Could anyone say exactly what Her Kateness is saying at
the end of 'Waking the Witch' - "this blackbird - has a
stone around it?"  - Sounds like that but I don't think
so (but it certainly would fit the context of the song -
"help this blackbird - someone help this blackbird" .
I have gotten down the lines of the priest - "What is it
my child - you are a witch -- woman, I question your
innocence! -- I damn you woman! -- What say you good
people (guilty - guilty - guilty!).....

I really love this song - it seems to speak to the
repression of female spirituality - the repression of
the witch in all of us.  Specifically - the Catholic
Church and it's fear and repression of it.... but that
subject is too deep to get into over the Internet...

Jean

jkirwin@s850.mwc.edu

'You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird'
          - Tori Amos