Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jorn's post

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 93 7:13:12 EDT
Subject: Re: Jorn's post
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Cc: vickie@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

This may come out sounding like a flame, but I just had to throw in
a couple of cents...

jorn@chinet.chinet.com (Jorn Barger) writes:

> I feel so intensely
>that she's going thru trials of her own, these days (er, these *years* :^)
>and we need to just send our best good wishes her way...

No one, least of all Chris, suggested otherwise.

>Nobody feels, do they, that Kate is being lazy and *irresponsible to us*,
>by not catering to our ***selfish*** desires to *consume her*?
                    ^^^
Make sure you're speaking for yourself, Jorn. *I* have no desire
to "consume" *her* in any way. Her work, yes, absolutely. I don't
think anyone feels that Kate is "irresponsible" to us or anybody.
Also, one person's "lazy" is another person's "keeping life and
work in perspective" so, even though I would use the term lazy
wrt Kate sometimes, I'd never mean it in a derogatory way.

>  I think
>nobody suffers more sense of worthlessness than an artist who's not
>creating,

Excuse me? Again, speak for yourself, *not* for Kate. Maybe I'm wrong,
but it sure sounds as if you're implying that a) Kate has not been
"creating" and b) if she's not, she must feel worthless. Besides the
obvious flaw in that you have *no* idea what Kate has or has not been
creating, and *no* idea how Kate feels when she is or isn't "creating,"
that's a heavy and arrogant thing to say about *any* artist other than
yourself.

> or who's finding that her creative flows have, for now, dwindled
>to a trickle.

This is obnoxious. It's been well-reported that Kate *has* been working
on an album, so your "for now" is...well, it's obnoxious. (Plus, taken
in context of the line before it, you are again implying that Kate "suffers"
and feels a sense of worthlessness. Kate *HAS A LIFE* Jorn, beyond her
music, beyond her fans, beyond anything "public" at all.) Obnoxious!!

>  But the muse is fickle,

How could you possibly know what Kate's "muse" is or is not doing?
Or even if she subscribes to the idea of the muse. (Ron Hill??)
Or any variation therof.

>and all we can do for Kate is *love
>her inexhaustibly* for the inexhaustible boons she's already granted!

Well, yes & no (for me). I love her music inexhaustibly, completely and
forever. I respect and admire Kate, and I love the person that she *is*
but, um, if you mean be *in* love with her, no. I'll go even further
and say that *NONE* of us could, or should, be "in love" with her. But
I'm sure that's not what you meant though, right? I really wouldn't want
to put words in your mouth.

Vickie

ps, Jorn, I thought Shu Shubat had replaced Kate as God in your book.