Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

**** Monthly FAQ PART I *****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sat, 01 May 93 16:12:19 PDT
Subject: **** Monthly FAQ PART I *****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

GENERAL

Rec.music.gaffa is a 7-year-old newsgroup dedicated to the sublime,
peerless artistic genius of Kate Bush,  and to her fans, and many other
"progressive" artists.  "Gaffa" comes from her song "Suspended in
Gaffa" (on _The_Dreaming_), and (according to Kate) refers to gaffer's
tape, or duct tape, used to keep people from tripping over electrical
cabling, and metaphorically, apparently, to a frustrating sort of
limbo-dimension ("the idea of seeing something incredibly beautiful,
having a religious experience... but not being able to get back
there"):

"Suddenly my feet are feet of mud/ It all goes slo-mo
I don't know why I'm crying/ Am I suspended In Gaffa?"

Submissions to Rec.music.gaffa are forwarded to an extensive mailing
list of people without netnews access.  This means that anyone with the
ability to send and receive mail can take part.  The mailing list was
r.m.g's original format, when started by |>oug /\lan so many years ago.
 Together, the mailing list and r.m.g. form an informal fan club called
"Love-Hounds."  You can mail submissions, without fear of censorship,
to:

love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Especially rabid 'Hounds subscribe to the list *as well as* reading
r.m.g., because glitches can cause you to miss messages [hopefully
fixed with the new system]. To subscribe to the mailing list, send a
friendly message to the "moderator", Bill Wisner (who's actually in
California), via:

love-hounds-request@uunet.UU.NET

It is possible to subscribe via various other email services:  America
OnLine, Compuserve, MCI-Mail, FidoNet, SprintMail, GENIE, Peacenet,
Bix, Envoy-100, Connect, and others.  For example, Compuserve users can
use the above addresses with ">INTERNET:" in front of them.  Right now,
Prodigy is not gatewayed to Usenet, as far as we know.  Love-Hound
Richard Caldwell offers access for the price of your long-distance call
via the Big Sky BBS, 24 hours a day at 614-864-1198 (1200 or 2400
baud).  Another Kate-related BBS is The Electronic Cafe at
1-805-399-3636. A Kate-related BBS in Canada called Night Scented
Stock, run by the former editor of the fanzine Still Breathing.  It's
unfortunately not connected to love-hounds, but may soon be.
1-604-572-4733.

Topics of interest to Love-Hounds include other alternative female
artists, and Kate-related others like Peter Gabriel and Roy Harper.
Many new discoveries have been brought to our attention by Vickie Mapes
(of Vickie'n'Chris), whose radio show "Suspended in Gaffa" focuses on
alternative female artists, airing Wednesdays from 7:30 to 8:30pm on
WZRD in Chicago (88.3 FM), and Mondays between 10 and midnight on KKFI
(90.1 FM) in Kansas City.

Love-Hounds was founded with the idea of being a newgroup about
"Progressive Artists with emphasis on Kate Bush", so discussions about
other "progressive artists" are generally encouraged.  However,
occasionly the talk about a different artist grows to a point where it
is appropiate to form a seperate group.  This is what happened with
Happy Rhodes, whose CD "Warpaint" has spawned a #1 hit on
Philadelphia's NPR station.  HR traffic has been moved to a
mailing-list that grows more and more active and now includes many
other female artists, shadowing the gaffa-flow.  You can send a request
to subscribe to Jessica via: ecto-request@cs.ns1.rutgers.edu, to post a
message ecto@cs.ns1.rutgers.edu.  Ordering info for Happy's CDS:

    CD's (prices in US currency)
    Title       Order #         Price

    EQUIPOISE   AGCD0019        13.99
    WARPAINT    AGCD0017        13.99
    ECTO        AGCD0013        13.99
    REARMAMENT  AGCD0011        13.99
    Rhodes II   AGCD0008        13.99
    Rhodes I    AGCD0007        13.99

   Postage and Handling 2.00.  Add .50 per item when ordering more than
one title.  Europe 8.30 + item charge.

    Aural Gratification
    P.O. Box 8658
    Academy Station
    Albany, NW  12208

Still another spin-off is the Tori Amos mailing list:
Really-Deep-Thoughts.
The address to subscribe to the mailing list is:
rdt-request@gradient.cis.upenn.edu.
The address to post to the mailing list is:
rdt@gradient.cis.upenn.edu.
The purpose of the list is to discuss and disseminate information about
Tori Amos and her music, and anything else that seems relevant.

There is also a Roy Harper mailing list. The subscription address is:
stormcock-request@dcs.qmw.ac.uk.
Stormcock is the name of his "classic" album.

There is also "Kate-talk", a process that allows fans to talk to each
other in real time.  For more info contact Jessica at
jessica@cs.rutgers.edu, who provides the following information: "You
need a unix machine or a vms machine, connected directly to the
internet. It compiles fairly easily on most unix machines. If you have
trouble with yours, I'm willing to help get it running. Client programs
can be ftped from hardees.rutgers.edu in ~ftp/pub/icb-client.tar.Z for
the unix client and in the pub/icb directory for the vms client.  I
know nothing about vms, and do not have a vms account, so I can't help
much for vms people, and I don't have a clue what to do with the files
that are there. I'd appreciate someone on a vms system trying it out
for me :)"

A less-frequent visitor these days is the numinous curmudgeon "IED",
Andy Marvick's self-parody as the ultimate "true believer" Katefan.
IED used to act as the flame-wielding bouncer of the group, but seems
to have mellowed of late into the more natural role of encyclopedic
demigod.  Come back soon, IED!

Katefans are generally the nicest people you could hope to meet, but
r.m.g. does erupt fairly regularly into classic Usenet flamewar-
behavior.  **We're les concierges, chez-nous, honey, and we let the
weirdness in.**  This tender agreement sometimes gets abused, and we
try to do the best we can to uphold our ideals in the face of mindless
astral violence, as Kate would surely want.  (If you consider that what
you write here may one day be read by her... be kind to everybody's
mistakes, huh?)  Newcomers can rest assured that you are welcome to
participate, and if you feel ignored or incinerated you can be pretty
sure it's nothing personal, and persist until you feel accepted... for
if your interest is genuine, you certainly will be.  The best way to
deal with rude and/or uninteresting posts is to ignore then and post
something positive and interesting.

Abbreviations commonly used on Love-Hounds include sideways faces, such
as :-), IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), ROFL (Rolling on the floor
laughing) and the initials of Kate's songs, such as RUTH for Running Up
That Hill (sometimes known as DwG for Deal with God ;^).

Love-Hounds celebrate Kate's birthday (Katemas) each year around July
30, with parties all over the world.  1991 saw parties in Boston,
Washington DC, Cleveland, San Jose, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, Iowa City,
Chapel Hill, Chicago, Ipswich UK, Sweden, and two sites in Australia.
1992 saw parties in Boston, San Fransisco, Chicago, Australia, Israel,
and San Diego.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA