Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FMJ

From: silo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 93 14:37:00 EDT
Subject: FMJ
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

rhogan@chaph.usc.edu writes:

>Full Metal Jacket, btw, means that one is carrying all of one's
>ammunition, in that over the shoulder style war films fetishize.

Actually Full Metal Jacket describes a type of ammunition where the lead
bullet
is completely encased it metal (usually steel).  It is distinctive of
military ammunition, since the Geneva conventions of war prohibit expanding
or
"mushroom tipped" ammunition which is preferred by hunters.  I think it has
something to do with lead poisoning inflicted by lead fragments in the
wounds,
or just plain horrible wounds.  The FMJ ammo also has greater penatration
ability
for getting through armor, etc.

Soldiers carrying bandoliers of ammo in belts may also refer to this as
wearing
a Full Metal Jacket.  I haven't heard this reference before, but I don't mean
to imply it's not possible.

Mike Knight
silo@aol.com  & ex-gun nut.