Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wuthering Heights - Videos

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 93 21:15 CDT
Subject: Re: Wuthering Heights - Videos
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Mikko Suhonen wrote:
>The original is Kate in white dress in red backround with absolutely nothing
>else in the video than Kate, the song and the choreography made by Kate
>herself. Kate is occasionally treated with some primitive studio trickery
>of the 70's. Despite of the modest setup, the video is, in my opinion,
>absolutely one of her best. And of course, the song itself is IMHO the
>best she's ever done!

   Yes, it's a great video, but *no* the video effects were not
"primitive!" That effect was known as "Quantel Trail" and was the
state of the art in video effects. To belittle the production is a
grave disservive the video and it's director. Try to see some of the
other videos of that time. The ABC news show "20-20" described the
video (comparing it to a Tom Petty video) as "...to the sophisticated
computer generated special effects of this song by English singer
Kate Bush." BTW, the background can only be described as "red" in
the P.A.L. version.

                           Chris Williams of
                              Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                 chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu   (his)