Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Kubrick

From: Stuart M Castergine <scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 93 21:17:05 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate and Kubrick
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Ron Hogan says:

> Full Metal Jacket, btw, means that one is carrying all of one's
> ammunition, in that over the shoulder style war films fetishize.
> But the film isn't so much about the fascism of that pose, but
> the absurdity of it, and of war.  If it draws upon any school of
> thought, I'd have to say it draws upon absurdism.

Actually, I think Full Metal Jacket refers to the type of ammunition
used in many military contexts. "jacketed" ammo will pierce
armor/flak-jackets better and will not deform as easily on impact. It
is actually a less deadly type of ammunition then softer rounds or
hollow points, precisely because it doesn't deform. Some ammo can also
be partially jacketed -- including some hollow-points. With that type
of ammo the jacket will shred back as the soft interior expands, doing
a lot of damage as it passes through a body.

I believe the bullets that the one guy in training camp (can't remember
the name) used to kill the drill sargeant and then himself were military
"full metal jacket," thus the name. He might even make a point of
saying so, though my memory is foggy.

OK, so it doesn't have anything to do with Kate. Full Metal Jacket was
seriously depressing movie.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu -- Stuart M. Castergine
Fiver: "Oh, Hazel, look! The field! It's covered with blood!"