Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wow!

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 93 13:35:23 EDT
Subject: Re: Wow!
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In rec.music.gaffa IED writes:

>Finally, quite apart from whether "Happy" or "Tori" or any other of
>these persons is making valuable art or not, there really can be no
>question at all (among reasonable people) that at least these two
>musicians owe an IMMENSE debt to the example of Kate Bush. Anyone who
>maintains otherwise is deluding him/herself--including the artists
>themselves.

Just to get this straight right out of the starting gate, Happy is a
*HUGE* Kate Bush fan. Quite apart from whether or not Kate fans should
support Happy because of it, or would like Happy because of it, it's a
fact that Happy would be the first to tell you. There's no deluding
anyone. Happy was 16 when she became a Kate fan. Happy learned to
*sing* by singing along with Kate's records (and Wendy Carlos and
Queen) and that's one reason why Happy's high voice sometimes sounds
similar to Kate's high voice. Happy would never deny that. She even
wrote a song as a homage to Kate, and Peter Gabriel, and her other
musical influences ("Feed the Fire" on _Warpaint_). Beyond Happy's
love for Kate's voice and Kate's music, she deeply respects Kate's
*control* of her music, that Kate didn't want anyone to tell her
what to do, or how to manage her career. Kate is a very strong
role model for Happy in many ways, but Happy doesn't want to *be*
Kate, or be compared to such an extent that people will lose sight
of Happy's own, unique music.

I know IED isn't interested in Happy (I've tried :-)) but I don't
want IED (or anyone else) to think that Happy doesn't know that she
owes an IMMENSE debt to the example of Kate Bush. She'll be the
first to say so. (Well, she'd say it if asked anyway. Saying it
out of context would be a bit weird.)

*Hug* to Andy, warm, firm handshake to IED.

Vickie