Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Magic 107 oops, real science

From: mgates@entiat.boeing.com (Michael Gates)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 19:28:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Magic 107 oops, real science
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@grace.rt.cs.boeing.com (For news)

I missed the beginning of this thread, so excuse me if I am completely
misinterpreting things. These two paragraphs are the closest to expressing
the problem I find in your statements.

> My experience is that when my emotional state is *clear*, I can see
> into things' endless depths, and by extrapolation, if perfect clarity
> could be attained, to *everything* that's ever left any imprint on
> them.

[other stuff deleted]

> I want to distinguish hiss that's added by external means, and hiss
> that's written by the read-mechanism.  It's the latter that seems
> inherently 2-way to me, for vinyl and tape, but not for digital.

I have no criticism (surprise!) of your basic statement that you can
percieve "psychic" (for lack of a more concise term) imprints left on tapes
that were experienced deeply. The problem is that you are illogically (to my
mind) denying that CD's are amenable to this.

While criticizing your detractors for succumbing to empirical/ scientific
"dogmas" in their attacks on your position, you appeal to these same
"dogmas" in your attack on CD's. Mixing arguments about read-mechanisms and
binary formats with statements about subtle channels of perception
connecting you to your fave tapes can only lead to muddy thinking and
arbitrary misunderstandings. You can't have it both ways. Either the
phenomenon of the spirit obey the scientific "rules" and your critics'
arguments are sound, or they do not and your criticism of CD's is unsound.

I believe that it is the clarity of emotional state you mention above which
is at issue with CD's. There is an ordering of perception precedence
governing the realms in which we live. Physical sensations are at the coarse
end, spiritual sensations are at the fine end. Coarse drowns out fine. It
sounds to me like you might have an emotional bias against digital
technology. If that is the case then its roar will certainly drown out the
subtle sensations of "psychic" imprints.

People who deny the spiritual realm are to be feared. CD technology is not.
After all, how much colder is a tape than a live performance - yet you still
feel very subtle spirit things from it.
--
et tu mgates?