Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Notes on butterfly kisses

From: UK04160@ukpr.uky.edu
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 93 09:13:28 EST
Subject: Notes on butterfly kisses
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

(Sorry if this is a repost. Our local mailer was acting up when
I tried to post this earlier)....

Here is some more info on the Butterfly Kisses CD for anyone who
is interested. This is mainly a modification of an earlier post
by a fellow Love-Hound:

Contents:

> 1. wuthering heights (this is apparently from some tv program - i can think
>   of two possibilities, though i do not know which this is from - i had
>   never heard this recording of the song before, however.)
>
> 2. the wedding list (prince's trust gala concert, 21 july 1982)

This particular cut is apparently dubbed from vinyl (which is a
disappointment to me, since the track is readily availiable on
video in hi-fi sound), probably from the PASSING THROUGH AIR vinyl
bootleg. Sound quality is still pretty good.

>3. the man with the child in his eyes (unidentified tv performance, possibly
>   from saturday night live, but i'm not sure.)

>4.  them heavy people (unidentified tv performance - features backing vocals
>    by a woman who does not sound like Kate at all.)

These cuts appear to be from a tape source, possibly a bootleg video.
Sound quality is about what you would expect if someone dubbed Kate's
SNL performance with a typical VCR of that time period.

>5. under the ivy (the tube - neil said this was not available on anything
>   other than video bootlegs, but i believe that is incorrect. if i'm not
>   mistaken, this also showed up on the _passing through air_ vinyl bootleg,
>   though i'm not sure of this.)

This version appeared on the vinyl bootleg "Under the Ivy Bush". The cut
on the CD appears to be from a tape source, however. The sound quality of
this cut is very good.

>6. breathing (comic relief concert, 4/6 april 1986)

>7. do bears ... in the woods (comic relief conerts, 4/6 april 1986 duet with
   rowan atkinson.)

Taken from a vinyl copy of the "Utterly Utterly Live-Comic Relief" album.

>8. running up that hill (the secret policeman's third ball, 2nd night - with
>   david gilmour on guitar)

Taken from a vinyl copy of "The Secret Policeman's Third Ball"

>9. the long and winding road (sound in s, japanese tv, 23 june 1978)
>10. she's leaving home (sound in s, japanese tv, 23 june 1978)
>11. moving (unidentified tv performance, possible 7th tokyo song festival,
>    18 june 1978 - another new track for my ears.)

These cuts are taken from the 7" bootleg single "Live In Japan". Some
surface noise is audible, but the recording is still very listenable.
Note that the CD lists 'moving' before 'the long and winding road' and
'she's leaving home', but actually appears in the order listed above.
The bootleggers apparently played side 2 of the aforementioned single
first and copied down the side 1 to side 2 order in the track listings.

>>the rest of the cd is all tracks taken from some unidentified tour of life
>>concert: room for the life/strange phenomena/violin/in the warm room/kite/
>>wuthering heights.

The source of these tracks probably is as follows (listing taken from
vol 2 of the Garden):

    43. Kate Bush In Concert: German documentary with excerpts from
live performances and interview clips (conducted in English).
A Dutch version, with German voice-over omitted, also exists. Interview
segments were filmed in April 1980.

      1. Room For the Life;
      2. Kate walking on a city street, childhood photos interposed;
      3. Interview (Part I);
      4. Strange Phenomena;
      5. Interview (Part II);
      6. Kate exercising;
      7. Interview (Part III);
      8. Violin;
      9. Interview (Part IV);
     10. Kate's family introduced;
     11. In the Warm Room;
     12. Hammer Horror;
     13. Interview (Part V);
     14. Kate studying a video;
     15. Kate at a party;
     16. Interview (Part VI);
     17. Kite;
     18. Interview with John Carder Bush in a mixing room;
     19. Wuthering Heights.

Some of these tracks on the CD have incomplete intros and/or conclusions,
probably stemming from the omission of the interviews. Sound quality
is pretty good and seems to be from a tape source.

>the packaging is decent: the cover is KaTe done up in the violin getup that
>she wore in the bbc special. inside the jewel booklet (which is more a pamph-
>let, i should say) are three black'n'white shots of KaTe in a dancing leo-
>tard and tights - maybe i'll digitize them sometime.

>as i mentioned before, sound quality is fair to good as bootlegs go. strong
>recording levels were used, so that is a good sign. don't expect to hear
>crystalline sounds if you buy this, but it is not muddled beyond reconition
>either.

>woj

Someone was also asking about the "Just Saying It" interview album.
If it is of any help, the same interview on this album comprises
part one of the "Words About Music" interview CD. The interview
was apparently conducted circa 1985.

Paul (uk04160@ukpr.uky.edu)