Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Just a tidbit

From: ganzer@binkley.nosc.mil
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 93 10:27:31 EST
Subject: Re: Just a tidbit
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

As Doug said, IED was the first 3 letters of his user id.  Here's a header line
I lifted from an old posting of IED's:

>From @wiscvm.wisc.edu:IED0DXM@UCLAMVS  Fri Feb 20 20:48:43 1987
>Date:    Fri, 20 Feb 87 17:44 PST
>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

I recall contacting the postmaster at CS.UCLA.EDU  at the time the wiscvm
BITNET gateway was disappearing looking for a path to continue exchanging
e-mail with Andy , and they commented that this machine was an IBM mainframe
"over in the business department" and that they didn't have any connections to
it (eventually, they did, and his postings then came from
ied0dxm@oac.ucla.edu). Actually, I don't think that this was even his own
account. I recall Andy commenting that he shared this account with his father,
who taught at UCLA.

As for WHY Andy chose the first three letters of his user id as a monikor for
his alter-ego, i don't know, and even if it has some deeper meaning, I'm sure
he'll keep us guessing about it just for the sake of generating discussion.

MarK T. Ganzer
ganzer@nosc.mil