Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

tori amos

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (l.l. cool bean)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 23:06:36 EST
Subject: tori amos
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

[apologies to the gaffan purists]

satyr!buck@apple.com (Michael Butler) sez:
>I'd love to hear, say, Tori's third or fourth album; or stuff that wasn't
>so evidently derivative.  Her delivery reminds me (a bit annoyingly) of
>Sarah McLachlan on Sarah's debut (only?) album.

funny - one thing that constantly went through my mind when i first heard
_little earthquakes_ was a similarity in vocal delivery to sarah as well.
i don't consider it annoying though. as for derivativeness, i disagree com-
pletely. yes, KaTe and tori both play piano; yes, Kate and tori both are
female vocalists. however, their piano styles are distinctively different
and their lyrical subjects are almost at odds to one another. KaTe sings
of fantastical stories and tori sings of gritty reality; Kate is interested
in production and tori is into simple delivery of her ideas. the piano and
their gender is the end all and be all of their similarity.

woj