Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Radio Free WEEN (long but hopefully kinda fun)

From: satyr!buck@apple.com (Michael Butler)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 08:38:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Radio Free WEEN (long but hopefully kinda fun)
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0nVT7q-0004KUC@chinet.chi.il.us> jorn@chinet.chi.il.us (Jorn Barger) writes:

>Lately I've been trying to visualize a new radio format, because aside from
>Vickie's show, Chicago radio is *disgusting*.
>To test this theory, I spent yesterday making a 110 minute tape of
>all my favorite Ween songs, alternating Ween with anything else in
>my CD-box that I felt any impulse to hear a good cut from.  Ween,
>if you don't know 'em, are two manic potcrazed testosterone-
>adolescent brothers from the Philly area, who happen to be multi-
>instrumentalist geniuses.  They Might Be *Deeply Obnoxious* Giants.
>TMBG + Capt Beefheart.  Dedicated to parodying every genre ever.

<fascinating cut-list elided>

Crikey.  I walk away from rec.music.gaffa for a couple of years and...
people... get... creative.  :)

Woof.  Can we talk about this tape of yours?  I cry for the WEEN
experience, at least.

***Personal to Chris'N'Vickie:  Hi hi!!!  Have you got a phone yet?
Let me know via private email.

I'm a late arrival to the Tori thing, but I get the *distinct* impression
that a word-count analysis would reveal heavy KTB aping^H^H^H^H^H er, um,
"influence".  Despite this, "Happy Phantom" has indeed invaded my brain.

I'd love to hear, say, Tori's third or fourth album; or stuff that wasn't
so evidently derivative.  Her delivery reminds me (a bit annoyingly) of
Sarah McLachlan on Sarah's debut (only?) album.

Has TA been discussed to death here?  If so, apologies, and where's an
archive these days so I can get up to speed?

***

Michael Butler aka buck@satyr.Sylvan.COM nee buckaroo@apple.con