Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Keys, Locks and the Dreaming

From: satyr!buck@apple.com (Michael Butler)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 09:00:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Keys, Locks and the Dreaming
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>> Thanks for your reply. One other instance I can think of is in
>> "Tenner" (again), which also contains a punning reference to
>> Strangeways prison in England. (I don't exactly know where--a friend
>> of mine told me this yesterday).

"I've been here all day
 A star in strange ways
 Apart from the photographs
 They'll get nothing from me
 ..."

That particular pun was a sleeper for me because of the lilting, clear
enunciation of Strangeways as two words.  I'd known the song for several
years before it hit me (listening to the description of suspected IRA
sympathizers at that prison).  I nearly bust a gut.

Michael Butler
buck@satyr.sylvan.com