Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1993 15:44:34 +1000
To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.OZ.AU

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: boek@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Christopher Boek)
Subject: Re: PG at WOMADELAIDE 93 - My Experience
Sender: news@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1993 05:31:59 GMT

rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au (Richard Frost) writes:

>Its not every day that Peter Gabriel comes straight to your home town! B-)

>I was at WOMADELAIDE 1993 and I thought it was excellent, I will
>definitely go to the next one!

So was I, Richard ... shame I didn't meet you there!!
Where were you for PG, right up the front (like me) ... ?

>WOMADELAIDE was from Friday Night Feb the 19th, to Sunday Night February
>the 21st.

>Peter Gabriel played on the Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday
>night his performance was good but not great. But that is
>understandable seeing that he and his band just got off the plane at Adelaide
>airport 40 minutes prior to the concert!

It wasn't quite that short a time. I arrived in Adelaide earlier in the
afternoon, and me and my friends thought we'd see if we could get in early.
As it turns out, we did, (and by some freak coincidence ran into Billy
Connolly who happened to be performing in Adelaide at the time, and got
to talk to him for about ten minutes - he's a really nice bloke!! but I
digress ...) and when we wandered over to the main stage, there was PG,
along with Shankar, David Rhodes, Tony Levin, Joy Askew and Manu Katche,
all rehearsing for the show. This was at about 3pm. (When we walked up,
PG has just backed off from the stage from signing some autographs -
missed him by _that_ much, as agent 86 was fond of saying...) so that
makes his arrival at least 9 hours before the performance started, which
is slightly more than 40minutes. I've got some nice shots of the rehearsal
actually. Along with some really good shots of PG and the Mahotella Queens
(during 'In Your Eyes'). It was surprising that they let cameras in actually.
But hey, I'm not complaining. Overall a fantastic event. I can't wait to see
the US tour. (I hope I get to see it)

>Womadelaide 93 made a huge profit (around $100,000 Australian dollars)
>and the organizers were so pleased they thought Adelaide should host
>it on a regular basis - I hear it will be held every 2 years.

That's good to hear!!

Chris.

|  ||| |||  |  ||| ||| |||  |  ||Christopher Boek - boek@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
|  ||| |||  |  ||| ||| |||  |  ||  Dept Elec Eng Univ of Melbourne Australia
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | /  "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in