Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori in Chicago (& Vickie meets Richard)

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 93 1:11:13 EST
Subject: Tori in Chicago (& Vickie meets Richard)
To: tori.;@pilot.njin.net
Cc: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

(Ectophiles saw part of this earlier, but I wasn't finished with it.
I apologise for the redundant parts.)

Tori Amos at Rose Records-Ashland in Chicago  March 3, 1993

After waiting in line for 3 1/2 hours, I must say that it was worth
*every*single*second*!

I stopped and ate before going to the record store, which was a
mistake, because when I got there the line was already long. She
wasn't supposed to appear until 7pm, and I got there at 6:30 but I
was still quite a ways back. Unfortunately I didn't have any money
with me to buy a songbook. They look very nice! Tori was late, and
didn't show up until at least 7:30. The line moved as fast as
frozen molasses, but I didn't hear anyone complaining. The nice
thing about Tori is that she doesn't treat people like assembly
line fodder. Everyone is an individual to her and she spends time
with each person, as if they were the only person there. I think
everyone realized that and didn't complain, knowing that, at *some*
point, it would be their turn.

Rose Records has a nice system for in-stores in that they have a
"buffer zone" for the artist. They keep people back about 10 feet
and then let folks approach the artist in semi-privacy. I've been
to in-stores where the next person in line is breathing down your
neck and hearing every word that's said. I hate that, which is why
I love Rose's way. Most of the evening Tori's music was playing,
but shortly before it was my turn someone put on Led Zepplin, which
pleased Tori to no end. She jumped up and down and shook her hair
around and did a little dance, which was fun to see!

Finally it was my turn and I had her sign a flat. I told her that
I was on the computer list rdt and she said "oh great!" and asked me
how to spell my name. I asked her if she had seen Richard Caldwell and
she said no. I said that he was supposed to be there. Then (and here's
the cool part for Ectophiles, though it might not interest many gaffians
or rdt-ers) I said "I don't know if you remember, but the last time you
were in town I gave you a CD by a woman named Happy Rhodes..." and
before I could say anything else her eyes went wide and she yelped "OH!!"
She flung out her arms and exclaimed "I *LOVE* Happy Rhodes!" then she
touched my arm and asked "Do you ever talk to her?" I said yes and she said
"OH! Tell Happy I *LOVE* her music!!" <WOW!SWOON!YAY!> It was *so*
genuine, I was just overjoyed! Then I said well, here's two more for
you, and gave her CDs of _Equipoise_ and _Rhodes I_. I told her that
Equipoise was Happy's latest and VI was her very first. Tori was
genuinely pleased to get them and we discussed the fact that Happy
didn't have a record contract. There really wasn't time to explain
about Kevin and Aural Gratification and I just said yeah, she doesn't
have a contract. She said that she would pass the word along to someone
and I was a bit shocked. That's *not* why I gave Tori Happy's music
and I said so. I said that I didn't want her to think that I was
just trying to "use" her or anything. Honestly, I'd just hoped that
she would enjoy the music. Tori said that she understood that, but
that she also knew how it was to be an unknown artist. I said ok,
whatever, just as long as you know that I..and she said sure and
thanks. If I'd had half a brain, I would have had my recording walkman
taping this exchange, because I swear, I am *not* making this up!

(An aside to Ectophiles, I forgot to tell her I loved her line about
"Fight for the right to have monsters" as I gave her Happy's CDs. Pooh!
For anyone who's never seen Happy's album covers, she loves to paint
monsters and they appear on the covers. It would have been so perfect
and was actually the one thing that I *really* wanted to say to her.
Tori's reaction to my mentioning Happy threw me for such a loop that I
forgot all about it until hours later.)

A friend of mine was there taking pictures and Tori and I posed
together for one. She gave me a big hug and I walked away. I was
in heaven! I had *no* idea she would react that way. It makes me
feel so good because Happy and Kevin are also Tori fans. My friend
taking pictures said that he had taken one right as Tori flung her
arms out and exclaimed "I LOVE Happy Rhodes!" and I can't wait to
see that one! I'll definitely send a copy to Happy and Kevin.

As I walked away there was this fellow handing out flyers. Was it...?
Yes! After all this time, I finally got to meet Richard Caldwell. We each
found out that the other doesn't have green hair, red eyes, horns and
fangs :-)! He was handing out flyers for the fanzine and we chatted a
bit. I guess Tori did see him later, but just hadn't noticed him quietly
standing off to the side. He really was in Chicago for business. I guess
I thought that Missy was pulling our legs, having fun with us (sorry
Missy) and that he came to Chicago specifically to see Tori. It was
getting late and I had to work the next day so I said my goodbyes. There
were still quite a few people in line! Richard will probably post (at
least to rdt) his story when he gets back, but I heard from Missy that
Tori stayed until the very last person had been taken care of, and that
it was close to 1:30 before everyone finally left. I left at 10:00, so
that will give you an idea of how long the line still was! A guestimate
was that around 500 people showed up! She shoulda just had a concert :-).

A *very* nice evening, all in all! I'm *so* glad that Tori's guy Eric is
from Chicago!