Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: houdini

From: tjc50@juts.ccc.amdahl.com (Terry Carroll)
Date: 1 Mar 93 20:29:12 GMT
Subject: Re: houdini
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <930226205831_555063.0_CHL78-1@CompuServe.COM>,
MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM (Mike Mendelson) writes:
>                      I'd catch the cues,
>                      Watching you,
>                      Hoping you'd do something wrong.
>
> This is where I start to
> lose it.  What is she referring
> to here?  The cues of Houdini
> as he is about to perform a trick?
> Well, why would she hope something
> go wrong?  Or has she started to refer
> to the medium in second person, suddenly,
> thus hoping that *he*'d do something
> wrong?  I'm a little puzzled.  Help.

It's "queues."  In British usage, a queue is a line, as in a line of people.
This is a reference to spectators lined up, secretly hoping something goes
wrong in the trick.

Terry Carroll - tjc50@juts.ccc.amdahl.com - 408/992-2152
This article may contain opinions which are not shared by my employer.
My cat agrees.           "Another Beer."  - Al Stewart, "Running Man"
"Ours is not to reason which.  Ours is but to do and bitch."  -Charlese Duff