Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Peter Gabriel at WOMAD.

From: ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1993 03:47:47 GMT
Subject: Peter Gabriel at WOMAD.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Usenet system)

G'day,

Sometime ago, someone wanted to know how Peter Gabriel performed at the WOMAD
festival in Adelaide, Australia on the 19th-21st February.  According to this
person, PG sounded great on the radio.

Well, having gone to the festival over all of the three days, I can tell you
PG gave his worst and best performance.  On Friday night (the so called gala
night), he looked very nervous and kept forgetting his lyrics (on some songs
he does read from a lyric sheet) or mixes verses up.  Mind you he was
performing some songs to a live audience for the first time and one of the
microphones he was using was of poor quality, so sometimes one has difficulty
making out what he is singing.

On Saturday night, he was brilliant.  All the bugs of the equipment was ironed
out from Friday night, and he was more relaxed.  Of course, he sang 'Biko', 'In
Your Eyes', 'Solisbury Hill' and 'Digging in the Dirt'.  His band was superb.
Any mistakes PG was about to make, the band would direct him in the right
direction.

Being the start of his world tour, I think a nervous start would do him a world
of good.  He should get better and more confident as the tour progresses.

Other acts that I saw at WOMAD were (off the top of my head):
	Shiela Chandra:  enchanting and truely wonderful:  as if a dream.
	The Holmes Brothers:  Lo-down blues and gospel.  Straight from the
		heart!
	The Persuations:  Gospel.  Lots of Amens and Hallelujas and all...
	S.E. Rogie:  Palm Wine Music.  African music to relax by.  A treat.
        Yothu Yindi:  Aboriginal-Australian pop.  Highly energetic!
	Tiddas:  Australian a-capella female trio.
	Dya Singh:  Australian-based siekh music.  A real cross-section of
		cultures in music.

There were many others!

That's all I would say for the moment.  I hope to do a review in the next week
or so and send that to rec.music.review.  But this is dependent on work
commitments.

Cheers,
Mik.

*    Mik Lipcsey, Computer Systems Officer, Victorian College of Pharmacy,    *
*         Monash University, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia.          *
* Aarnet:  ml@vcp.monash.edu.au  *  'Open the Pod Bay Door, please, HAL' 2001 *
* I am home, I know the way,             \_____---- 'Evening falls...' (1988) *
* I am home, feeling, oh, so far away... /                   Roma Ryan & Enya *
* For so great a treasure, words will never do... ---------- 'Angeles' (1991) *