Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Under the Ivy Bush

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 93 11:24:01 +0100
Subject: Under the Ivy Bush
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Whew! I'm almost blow(n) away!

I got hold of a copy of the 'Under the Ivy Bush' bootleg LP. Amongst others
it features a live version of 'James and the Cold Gun' that's blowing me
away. This one is really different, and - as IED says - remarkably good for
'79 audience bootleg recordings. Anyway, this version is incredibly, only
recommended for Truefans, because it is quite disturbed/ing! Nobody seems
able to hold a note. That stands not only for Kate's vocals, but for all
instruments too. If this is not some pitch problem with the recording, it
has to be purpose! Alltogether, this piece is a heavy experience...

Oh, before I forget: A while ago we discussed the bootleggers' way to
disguise the contents of a disc by selecting strange track titles that
only resemble the actual one. We did that on the example of the 'Back Sides'
vinyl label. The Label of the 'Under the Ivy Bush' LP is similar:

Side 1:
  Climb every mountain - Running up that Hill
  Blue Sky - The Big Sky
  Jimmy get your gun - James and the cold gun
  Gymnopedies - Satie's first Gymnopedie & Moving

Side 2:
  Only have eyes for you - The Man with the Child in his Eyes
  Fiddler on the roof - Violin
  Horror at home - Hammer horror
  High as a bird - Kite
  High Society - Wuthering Heights
  Under the Ivy - Under the Ivy

The last one is an exception to the rule, but since it is more unknown than
the other ones (it is not an album track) and since the whole album has that
title, it's not adding too much to the risk of producing the bootleg. Note
also that the album is by the KTB Band, something we all know, but something
that not everybody connects with Kate Bush.

Bye for now,

Uli

P.S.: Thank you, Ray, again...