Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

**** KATE BUSH SONG CRASH COURSE PART II ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 93 22:04:46 PST
Subject: **** KATE BUSH SONG CRASH COURSE PART II ****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        The Ninth Wave - The side is about someone who is in the water
alone for the night.
        "And Dream of Sheep" - "is about them fighting sleep.  They're
very tired and they've been in the water waiting for someone to come
and get them, and it's starting to get dark and it doesn't look like
anyone's coming and they want to go to sleep.  They know that if they
go to sleep in the water they could turn over and drown, so they're
trying to keep awake; but they can't help it, they eventually fall
asleep - which takes us into the second song."
        "Under Ice" - "is the dream that the person has.  They're
skating on ice; it's a frozen river and it's very white everywhere and
they're all alone, there doesn't appear to be anyone else there.  As
they skate along they look down at the ice and they can see something
moving underneath.  As they skate along with the object that's moving
under the ice they come to a crack in the ice; and as it moves under
the crack, they see that it's themselves in the water drowning, and at
that moment they wake up into the next song, which is about friends and
memories who come to wake them up to stop them drowning."
        "Waking the Witch" - "As they wake up and surface, they are
coming out of the whole feeling of deep subconsciousness.  One of the
voices tells them there's someone there to see them, and here in the
water is a witchfinder.  This is a sort of nightmare they're having.
This monster figure is basically trying to drown them, trying to see if
they're innocent or guilty.  If they drown then they're innocent.  If
they don't drown they're guilty, they'll be drowned anyway.  It's the
trial of this girl who's in the water; and all she wants to do is
survive and keep her head above water."
        "Watching You Without Me" - "about how she wants to go home.
That's really the thing she wants most, just to be in the cosy
atmosphere of her belongings all around her, and the security of those
four walls and the firm ground, and being with the one that she loves.
She finds that she's there in spirit, and there's her loved one sitting
in a chair by the fire, but she hadn't conceived the idea that she
wouldn't actually be there in real terms.  She's not real.  And
although she can see her man, he can't see her - she can't communicate
with him in any way."
        "Jig of Life" - "This is about the future self who comes to her
rescue, basically.  She says "Look, I'm the next part of your life and
if I am going to survive and enjoy the things that I've enjoyed -
having my children, my happy home and my husband - then you've got to
keep it together, you've got to stay alive, you mustn't drown or I will
drown with you." It's the future begging her, pleading with her to let
her, the future lady, live."
        "Hello, Earth" - "this is the point where she's so weak that
she relives the experience of the storm that took her in the water,
almost from a view: looking down on the earth up in the heavens,
watching the storm start to form - the storm that eventually took her
and that has put her in this situation."
        "The Morning Fog" - "Well, that's really meant to be the rescue
of the whole situation, where now suddenly out of all this darkness and
weight comes light.  You know, the weightiness is gone and here's the
morning, and it's meant to feel very positive and bright and uplifting
from the rest of dense, darkness of the previous track.  And although
it doesn't say so, in my mind this was the song where they were
rescued, where they get pulled out of the water."

        "Burning Bridge" - I wanted something that was relatively
up-tempo, and just a fun song.  I don't think the lyrics are by any
means profound, but it was something that I felt was fun to do and was
a very different energy from the a-side of the record."
        "My Lagan Love" - "A traditional song that is one of the most
beautiful tunes I think exists in traditional music.  And throughout
the years, people have used the song and their own versions of the
lyrics to it."
        "The Handsome Cabin Boy" - "For me it is an absolutely classic
story"
        "Wuthering Heights (New Vocal)" - "I wanted to put a
contemporary mark on it.  I felt it sounded like a very little girl
singing that to me, and the production was very much a Seventies
production.  And although there were some other tracks in there that
you could say the same thing of, they weren't as blatant as that one
was."
        "Experiment IV" - "A nightmare vision of the future where music
is harnessed by evil scientists as a weapon of destruction."

        "The Sensual World" - "Because I couldn't get permission to use
a piece of Joyce it gradually turned into the song about Molly Bloom
the character stepping out of the book, into the real world and the
impressions of sensuality, says Kate, softly, almost childlike.  Rather
than being in this two-dimensional world, she's free, let loose to
touch things, feel the ground under her feet, the sunsets, just how
incredibly sensual a world it is."
        "Love and Anger" - "This is about who you can or cannot confide
in when there's something you can't talk about."
        "The Fog" - "It's about trying to grow up.  Growing up for most
people is just trying to stop escaping, looking at things inside
yourself rather than outside.  But I'm not sure if people ever grow up
properly.  It's a continual process, growing in a positive sense."
        "Reaching Out" - "I had this lovely conversation with someone
around the time I was about to start writing it.  They were talking
about this star that exploded.  I thought it was such fantastic
imagery.  The song was taking the whole idea of how we cling onto
things that change - we're always trying to not let things change.  I
thought it was such a lovely image of people reaching up for a star,
and this star explodes.  Where's it gone?  It seemed to sum it all up
really."
        "Head's We're Dancing" - "A woman at a dance before the war and
this guy comes up to her tossing a coin with this cocky chat-up line,
Heads we're dancing.  She doesn't recognise him until she sees his face
in the paper later on and then she's devastated.  She thinks that if
she'd known she might have been able to *get* him and change the course
of history."
        "Deeper Understanding" - "And this is the idea of someone who
spends all their time with their computer and, like a lot of people,
they spend an obsessive amount of time with their computer.  People
really build up heavy relationships with their computers!  And this
person sees an ad in a magazine for a new program: a special program
that's for lonely people, lost people.  So this buff sends off for it,
gets it, puts it in their computer and then like <pyoong!>, it turns
into this big voice that's saying to them, "Look, I know that you're
not very happy, and I can offer you love: I'm her to love you.  I love
you!"  And it's the idea of a divine energy coming through the least
expected thing."
        "Between a Man and a Woman" - "It's about a relationship being
a very finely balanced thing that can be easily thrown off by a third
party.  The whole thing really came from a line in The Godfather,
during some family argument, when Marlon Brando says, "Don't interfere,
it's between a man and a woman."  It's exploring the idea of trying to
keep a relationship together, how outside forces can break into it."
        "Never Be Mine" -  "It's that whole thing of how, in some
situations, it's the dream you want, not the real thing.  It was
pursuing a conscious realisation that a person is really enjoying the
fantasy and aware it won't become reality.  So often you think it's the
end you want, but this is actually looking at the process that will
never get you there.  Bit of a heart-game you play with yourself."
        "Rocket's Tail" - "I guess it's saying there's nothing wrong
with being right here at this moment, and just enjoying this moment to
its absolute fullest, and if that's it, that's ok, you know.  And it's
kind of using the idea of a rocket that's so exciting for maybe 3
seconds and then it's gone [phutt!], you know that's it, but so what,
it had 3 seconds of absolutely wonderful..."
        "This Woman's Work" - "John Hughes, the American director, was
doing a film called She's Having a Baby - a great film, very nice and
comic.  And he had this scene which he wanted me to write a song for
where it gets very heavy.  The film's about this guy who gets married
and he likes being a kid, really - very much up in the clouds - and she
gets pregnant and they go into hospital, and she's rushed off becuase
the baby's in the breach position.  And suddenly there he is, just left
in the waiting room by himself.  It's probably the first time in his
life he's had to grow up."
        "Walk Straight Down the Middle" - "came together very quickly.
It's about following either of two extremes, when you really want to
plough this path straight down the middle.  Rather than
"WAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH": being thrown from one end of the spectrum to the
other.  I'd like to think of myself as holding the centre, whereas in
fact I'm - "WAAARRRRGGGGHHHH" - taking off all the time. "

        "Be Kind To My Mistakes" - Kate wrote this for Nicholas Roeg's
film Castaway.
        "I'm Still Waiting" - NO QUOTES
        "Rocket Man" - From the age of 11, Elton John was my biggest
hero.  I loved his music, had all his albums and I hoped one day I'd
play the piano like him (I still do). When I was asked to be involved
in this project and was given the choice of a track it was like being
asked "would you like to fulfill a dream?  Would you like to be Rocket
Man? ...yes, I would."
        "Candle in the Wind" - NO QUOTES.  Notice the apparent
simularities between Marilyn Monroe and Kate's life.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA