Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HAPPY RHODES Review

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 92 01:55:11 GMT
Subject: Re: HAPPY RHODES Review
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <1992Dec18.163645.6055@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:

>I have Happy Rhodes' _Warpaint_ being held for me at Record Archive, and I'm
>going to pick it up today after my English exam.  Stay tuned for a Drewcifer
>Disc Review, coming your way later this evening!

>Drewcifer
>--
>** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
>as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

I got it, right here in my grubby little hands...I'm on "Wrong Century" and
loving every minute so far.  The instrumentation is kind of Laurie Anderson
meets Suzanne Vega circa "99.9F"; the vocals are remarkable--her high end
sounds very early Kate, and her low end is something else entirely...it's
like two different voices.

I'm obviously not ready for a review.  Try me tomorrow, when I'll be
listening to this for the zillionth time with a big smile on my face!

Drewcifer

P.S.  I *like* the nakedness of Tori's songs...just as I like the artful
veils of Kate, and the dark sparseness of Happy's Druid music.  And Sarah's
folky classicism.  They're all wonderful...sigh...sorry.  :)