Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 92 16:35:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <9212181217.AA10108@syrinx.umd.edu> jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

>Andrew writes:

>>I can't imagine why everyone loves FBP so much.  I find it so utterly
>>grating and unenjoyable.  Would someone please tell me what I'm missing so I
>>can enjoy it too?

>Probably the same thing that makes you think KaTe has lame songs on her
>albums.

What, intelligent critical faculties?

>I, too, really like "14 Black Paintings".  I think the lyrics are wonderfully
>simple and to the point.  The music is full of hope and expectation.  I
>think it's getting hard to do a human rights struggle sort of song without
>sounding trite, as if a member of the "I'm the Natalie Merchant and *I*

Well, actually, I thought this song was remarkably trite.  Guess it's harder
than we thought!

>*CARE*" school (my biggest complaint about _Blind Man's Zoo_ is that it
>cares about too many issues.  Musically and lyrically it's brilliant, but
>because of the wide range of issues, I feel that it comes off as insincere.

Wait a minute.  In order to be sincere you can't care about a wide range of
issues?  I care about a lot of issues too, and I'm quite sincere about all
of them.  I think that might not be the way you meant to express this.

>Still my favorite 10,000 Maniacs album).  Anyway, "14 Black Paintings"

My fave too!

>doesn't fall into this simply by the fact that it's not _about_ an issue,
>it's about struggle, and it can be applied to just about any human rights
>issue.
>
>I will admit that I'm glad that there's a relatively long silent bit before
>"Kiss That Frog" starts, so the mood isn't _immediately_ ruined.  And
>I _love_ "Kiss That Frog", another prime single candidate.

You bet.  I've heard KTF trashed and I wonder what people are thinking!

>Jeff
>--
>|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
>|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |
>|jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu            |                         --Happy Rhodes   |

Drewcifer
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu