Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What a day that was

From: "gmcdonald@zdi.ziff.com"@zcias1.ziff.com
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1992 10:27 EST
Subject: Re: What a day that was
To: rec-music-gaffa@Pa.dec.com

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: glenn mcdonald <gmcdonald@zdi.ziff.com>
Date: 3 Dec 92 10:27:26 EDT

In article <1f1a8uINNe1e@smurf.sti.com> Steve Berlin, stev0@sti.com
writes:
>A friend of mine & I are starting to do our obligitory "Best of the
>Year" list (we go from December to December because:
>
>a) To get the jump on everyone else
>b) It's the most cliched, over-used idea, and if we do it real fast,
>   no one will notice, and
>c) December will be Magic! (again...)
>
>Anyway, does anyone know the exact (more or less) U.S. release date
>of "Little Earthquakes"?

I vastly enjoy compiling my Best of the Year lists, though I have to say
that I really resent the way magazines and radio stations turn it into
January-November, and thus I stick strictly to 1/1-12/31.  That said, I
have the exact same dilemma you're facing, as _Little Earthquakes_ is far
and away my favorite of the year, but its printed copyright date is 1991.
 After a great deal of thought, I have decided to grant it 1992
eligibility for these reasons:

1) All the singles and videos from it were released in 1992 (the original
UK CD5 of Me and A Gun being the one exception).
2) The music folio book for _Little Earthquakes_ lists the album as 1992.
3) Its my favorite debut album ever, and if it doesn't deserve an
exception, nothing does.
4) I realized that if I didn't count the album, then my 10 best song list
(I do both albums and songs) would be filled with Tori Amos CD-single
b-sides, and that seemed wrong.
5) In all previous cases where one of my favorite albums of a year was
actually released in a previous year, I felt that I clearly COULD have
got the record in its release-year.  LE, however, I was not even
peripherally aware of until 1992.

I realize that doesn't answer your question, but I'll look forward to
your list...

glenn