Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KateSkater & PeterPuppets

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 92 18:38:43 EST
Subject: KateSkater & PeterPuppets
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Cc: ecto.;@pilot.njin.net

Skater Skates to Kate

Just now, in the Pro-Am Figure Skating Challenge, we watched as
Rosalynn Sumners skated her program to Kate's "This Woman's Work."

Good for her!!! (Big day for TWW) Rosalynn always did have taste
in music that was generally more interesting than most skaters.
Last year she skated to Julia Fordham's "Happy Ever After."
Rosalynn, for those who don't closely follow skating, won the
Silver medal at the 1988 Olympics in Sarajevo (sob) coming in
second to Katarina Witt.

This particular skating competition will go down in the history
books (also meaning it's *very* important and millions of people
watched it) because it's the first "mixed" competition, in which
professionals, such as Caryn Kadavy, Rosalynn Sumners, compete
with amateurs, such as Nancy Kerrigan & Tonya Harding. Pros and
amateurs have skated together in exibitions and benefits before,
but never in actual competition, so this was a major milestone
in the skating world. That's great, because it means that more
people were watching and heard Kate.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that Rosalynn skated the same program
in "Skate the Dream" the special fund-raiser for AIDS research that
was held in Toronto. (I hope it's broadcast, it hasn't been yet.
At least, in America it hasn't.)

The ending credits are now running and they're re-playing Rosalynn's
program. They're not even talking over Kate!

I hope Rosalynn influences other skaters to delve into Kate, or, at least
other female vocalists besides Barbra Streisand and Linda Rondstat.

Last night on CNN's Future Watch, a feature on the modern state of
puppetry showed a bit of a strange puppet show which used the music
of Peter Gabriel's "San Jacinto." Yay!