Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

**** 1990 Kate Bush Convention Transcript PART III ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 92 22:04:13 PST
Subject: **** 1990 Kate Bush Convention Transcript PART III ****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

   "Oh, here, this is nice. Jeff Shipp."
   (Jeff:) Hello, Kate.
   "Hello."
   (Jeff:) You never mention painters in your work, at all.  Have you
any favourite painter...?
   "Yes, I--I think, um, paintings are phenomenal. I would love to be
able to paint. Particularly in oils. I think, uh, it just must be so
fantastic to stand there and--paint a picture. And I think, um,
they've been quite influential on my work. Um, when I was very young
I was into Millais pictures, and I used to find, um--Do you know  'The
Huguenots'? Do you know that? Beautiful painting, I just--In fact, I
wrote a song that was kind of inspired by the painting. I got a
painting years ago that I couldn't afford to buy at all, but, um,
that inspired a lot of my work, as well. (This is a reference to 'The
Hogsmill Ophelia'.) And I think one of my favourite painters  is
Brueghel. I think his work is just so extraordinary. The sense of
detail, and, um, and colours, it's so alive. I would love to be able to
uh, to do something like that. So uh, vive les painters, eh?"
(Laughter.)
   "Gordon So-peh-dia?"
   (Gordon:) Are going to do more acting in TV or films in the future.
And if you're not, would you like to?
   "Um--um, the only real bit of acting I've done is with 'The Comic
Strip' just last year--wait, this year, isn't it? And, um, I did enjoy
it. But I have to be totally honest, I really missed having  control
over--(laughs)--over the whole thing. I'm obviously such amegalomaniac.
And, uh, it was incredible working with those people, it was a lot of
fun. Very different pace. Very interesting... very interesting stuff. I
did enjoy it very much. But I think I enjoy putting the videos together
so much, where I'm actually  directing. It's like--it's like writing a
song visually. I find that so exciting that um...That--that's what
grabs me. And um,  although I would love to do some acting, if it was
something very very interesting and I felt I could actually do it, um,
I'm kind of happier to pursue the idea of, someday, making a little
film. Uh,  so..."
   (Applause.)
   "Thank you very much. Uh, Jackie Bezzie?"
   "Are you all getting hot?  It's warm isn't it?"
   (Jackie:) Yes, I wanted to ask you what inspired you to write This
Woman's Work.
        (this was about thirty seconds when IED was trying to get
closer to the stage to hand Love-Hounds's bouquet of thirty white roses
to Kate...)
   "Thank you. Uh...There--there's a film called 'She's Having a Baby'.
And um, John Hughes, the director, rung up and said that he had a
sequence in the film that he really wanted a song written to be with.
And, ah, I'd only worked the once before on the Castaway film - where
I'd really enjoyed that - so I was extremely tempted by the offer.  And
when he sent the piece of film that the song was going to be [??? part
of], I just thought it was wonderful, it was so moving, a very moving
piece of film.  And in a way, there was a sense that the whole film
built up to this moment. And um, it was a very easy song to write. It
was very quick. And just kind of came, like a lot of songs do. Even if
you struggle for months, in the end, they just kind of go - BLAH!  You
know, (laughs). So that was uh, and that was the first song that I
wrote for 'The Sensual World' album. In fact at the time we weren't
even sure whether to put it on the album or not. And I must say that
Del was very  instrumental in saying that I should put it on the album,
and I'm  very glad I did. Because I had the most fantastic response--in
some ways, maybe the greatest response--to this song. And I was
really--I was absolutely thrilled, that, um, that you felt that way
about it... (To herself, looking at more questions:) No, that's the
same, that's talking about the film, 'She's Having a Baby'..."
   (Dave Cross, who has just seen IED and his flowers, motioned to
him to get up on stage (in the wings), and give him the bouquet:)
Kate...
   "Yes."
   (Dave:) Before you do, this--
   "Ooh!" (Seeing the flowers which Dave is crossing the stage to
present to her)
   (Dave:) This is from all the Love-Hounds, who are all the American
fans--
   "Oh, they're just lovely!"
   (Dave:) --Andrew Marvick just sent them up to the stage."
   "They're lovely! Oh!"
   (Applause and cheering.)
   "Absolutely beautiful...Thank you very much.  Well, maybe it's time
to have the last question.  Postman Phil."
   (Laughter)
   (Dave:) Where are you Phil?
   (Phil:) Hello, Kate.
   "Hello."
   (Dave:) If you do tour again, while it be in big auditoriums like
the MEC and places like that, or smaller places, like the last tour?
   "Well, I have to say that, if circumstances allow--if things go
well--we are hoping very much to do some shows at the end of next
year."
   (Deafening applause lasting forty seconds, while Kate basically
says "Oh!" several times.)
   "What a lovely response!"
   (Cries from audience.)
   "I know it's been such a long time. All I can say is I just, in many
ways, haven't been ready for it. And also I don't think the time was
quite right for me since that first tour. I think those of you that
were there will know how much I did enjoy touring, it's not that I
didn't enjoy it, which a lot of uh, I've seen press... interview
things... It's not true, I did enjoy it very much. And, I would very
much like to at least do some shows again, if not a big tour. So, we're
thinking about it now, and although it's not definite, I would have
thought if it's going to go ahead it will be announced in January. And,
uh, I just really wanted to let you know first, so [??? inaudible] --"
    (Massive applause.)
   "What a lovely reaction! I can't believe how much... Thank you so
much!"
   (More applause.)
   "It's so lovely seeing you all today. It really is great, and um,
I--I think you're lovely...I'd like to say--Would you please give, uh,
a hand to all the organizers of this event--"
   (Continuous applause here.)
   "To Peter and Krys, to Dave Cross, and to Lisa, where are you? Take
a bow (laughing)!"
   "Thank you very much! Now, I wonder... would you mind if we just had
a few minutes silence just for... Alan Murphy, and Gary Hurst, who, as
you know, are no longer with us. And I think they would be thrilled to
think that we might be touring again. And I believe this event is in
their honour, and I'm  _sure_ that they feel it. So thank you very
much."
   (While saying this, Kate has taken out a slip of paper from her
boot, and this has some lyrics on it. The house at this point is
breathlessly quiet. She sings the following, a cappella, to the tune of
'My Lagan Love':)

          "I'd like to thank you,
           One and all,
           For so many things you give me.
           It means so much to
           Be with you here,
           And to see your smiling faces.

              To see you all
              Here in this hall,
              It fills my heart with joy!

           God Bless you all.
           Goodbye for now,
           Until we meet again."

   (Ecstatic applause.)
   (Dave:) Kate, before you go, we've got a little surprise for you. We
did this to you last time. And I'd like to ask Steve Davis, who is the
Marketing Manager for EMI--this is the man that looks after Kate at
EMI-- he says he's got a present for you. Steve? This is the platinum
disk for "The Sensual World".
   "That's really nice. Thank you! Thank you all!"
   (Dave:) Let's hear it for Kate!
   (Applause follows Kate as she leaves the stage.)

-- Andrew Marvick

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA