Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kate and sick ideas

From: eric.walker@channel1.com (Eric Walker)
Date: 16 Nov 92 (10:25)
Subject: kate and sick ideas
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

UG>        Regarding the increasing bizzare views on justifiable "theft"
UG>that have been given here, I only wish to stress (again) that there is
UG>NO evidence (that I know of) that Kate endorses theft, whether
UG>"politically" justified or not.  Nor is there any evidence that Kate
UG>herself was a thief when young.  Of course people are free to give

     There are many cases of musicians playing certain "characters" in
     their songs that have little or no relation to their personalities
     in real life.  For example, Peter Gabriel has a disturbing, haunting
     song called "Family Snapshot," which tells a story in the first-person
     tense of a political assassin, who waits with his gun for a famous
     person to appear so that he can kill him.  He does this, he says, to
     get some attention and to "be somebody."

     Does Gabriel endorse the assassination of political figures because of
     this song?  Certainly not!

     It's the same way with Kate and "There Goes A Tenner."  Just because
     the character in the song is a thief doesn't mean that Kate is/was a
     thief.  Likewise, if Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a killing robot in
     "The Terminator," does that mean he kills people in real life?

     If I remember right, it was the failure of certain narrow-minded
     people to recognize the difference between "characters" on a record
     album and people in real life that led to at least one instance of
     a rock-and-roll star being sued, and a campaign formed against his
     album.  I think it was Ozzy Osbourne's infamous "Suicide Solution,"
     but I'm not sure.  (I'm not an Ozzy fan.)
---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~ ...all for a children's crusade...
--
Channel 1 (R)   Cambridge, MA