Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Missing Freakout

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 92 13:10:51 +0100
Subject: Re: Missing Freakout
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi there,

Reading that there are two versions of the L&A video, I just had to check
the spot. I have the UK video tape and a recording from MTV Europe. Both
are (  :-(   ) without the tremor. ME WANT TO SEE IT!

In the following description the scenes are referred to as scene 1 (Kate
loosing contact to orb and sceptre, and finally tremoring) and scene 2 (Kate
throwing her head up and then rotating her arms). The following is a study
of single 1/25 second frames, viewed in digital single stepping video:

- scene 1: Kate looses contact to the orb
  scene 2: not yet there
- scene 1: Kate has lost contact to orb
  scene 2: not yet there
- scene 1: Kate looses contact to sceptre
  scene 2: not yet there
- scene 1: Kate has lost contact to both, fingers of both hands are pointing
           down in an 30 degree angle, her elbows are slightly bended,
  scene 2: The back of Kate can already be seen at the bottom
- scene 1: Hands going inwards and slightly up, elbows more bended
  scene 2: no change
- scene 1: Hands going forward and up, elbows even more bended, thumbs up
  scene 2: no change
- scene 1: Hands going upwards, fingers inwards
  scene 2: no change
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: Kate's right elbow and her back are going up a little bit further
- scene 1: the hands are stretching outwards fast, elbows almost straight
           again
  scene 2: Her back is rising slowly.
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: Her elbow's are going up
- scene 1: Elbows going backwards, whole arms are turning forward, hands
           pointing about 30 degrees downwards
  scene 2: Kate throws her head up and can be seen only very slightly, her
           left elbow appears
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: More of her head can be seen, but not yet clearly
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: it now begins taking over control. Her hair can be identified, the
           light in the real background is shimmering through her hair that is
           sort of flying up.
- scene 1: her ankles are going up while the fingertips remain in position, so
           the angle increases
  scene 2: Kate's forehead can be seen for the first time
- roles of background and foreground change places, since now the former
  background has more than 50 % of the picture.
  scene 1: no change
  scene 2: Kate's face can be seen, but very verschwommen. Kate's chin is
           there, and also upper half of Ausschnitt
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: Kate's Ausschnitt completely visible, her right arm behind back,
           left arm down
- scene 1: hands are again pointing forwards, her thumbs up
  scene 2: Kate's body rises further
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: Kate is rising further, her right arm begins to appear
- scene 1: no change, but getting weaker, perhaps 10 percent of picture is
           scene 1:
  scene 2: Kate throws her head to the back
- scene 1: her hands are pointing outwards again
  scene 2: she's almost standing straight now, head thrown to the back, first
           frame where her face can be seen clearly
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: now her body is straight, head further back
- scene 1: no change
  scene 2: body 'more than straight', a little bit to the back
- scene 1: hands turned so they point slightly downwards
  scene 2: left hand can be seen for the first time, head almost completely
           thrown to the back
- scene 1: completely faded out, only scene 2 is now visible
  scene 2: left hand is rising

Kate now begins putting her head straight onto her shoulders again, thereby
lifting her right shoulder to begin rotating her arms.

Some questions:

- Is this the right position in the video?
- Has someone recorded an emty-vee USA broadcast of the video?
- You, who has recorded it, do you have a VCR with good single stepping
  capabilities?
- You, who has answered the last questions with 'yes', can you check the way
  the MTV-USA video is different and tell us your results?
- All those 'no changes' above: These would qualify as 'slow-mo', but they
  are not enough to bring in a significant amount of additional frames. Ideas?
- While we are discussing single video frames: As we all (should) know, NTSC
  uses 30 frames per second, while PAL (and SECAM) only uses 25 frames. While
  watching the single frames of the videos, I could not see any mixture between
  two frames to adjust frequency. I often can see that on other video
  recordings from TV. Can anyone of you NTSC users verify if the single frames
  in the video are clear cut from one another or if they fade into one other?

Finally, some remarks:

- No, I'm not crazy. (Really? Am I the right person to answer this? ;-) )
Meredith says:
> Maybe she didn't want the True Fans (TM) who would buy and dissect the video
> to surmise that she's becoming prone to seizures in her old age?  ;)
- ok, I have dissected the edited video, but the idea of becoming prone to
  seizures only came across me after learning that this scene was changed
  at some time.......

(when, oh when will the internet have enough capacity so that anyone can post
a complete, digitized video??? (me want fiber!))

Uli