Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 92 01:01:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Sound quality / Peter Gabriel's "Us"
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Drewcifer responds:

>In <9212181217.AA10108@syrinx.umd.edu> jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

>What, intelligent critical faculties?

Here, let me help stretch your arm so's to make patting yourself on the
back a bit easier:  <yank>  <snap>

Oh dear, I seem to've broken your arm.  Now how will you straighten your
halo?

Once again you're confusing subjectivity and objectivity.

>Well, actually, I thought this song was remarkably trite.  Guess it's harder
>than we thought!

You think the lyrics are trite or the music?  You completely ignored my
comment about the music, a fact I find interesting.  Don't you agree that
a large part of the power in any such piece is the synthesis between the
music and lyrics, the sum of which is far greater than the parts?

>Wait a minute.  In order to be sincere you can't care about a wide range of
>issues?

Nope, I didn't say that.  I said that Natalie Merchant spends too much of
_Blind Man's Zoo_ explaining to us just how much She Cares.

>I care about a lot of issues too, and I'm quite sincere about all
>of them.

And yet you've managed to refrain from cataloging them here for us.

>I think that might not be the way you meant to express this.

Nope, I said exactly what I meant.  You took the comment out of the
context of Natalie Merchant and _Blind Man's Zoo_ and applied it globally.

BTW, on a completely different subject, glad to hear you're enjoying
_Warpaint_ so much.  Come join us on Ecto, the Happy Rhodes mailing list.
Send mail to jessica, the listgoddess.  She can be reached at
ecto-request@ns1.rutgers.edu  We've got close to 125 subscribers now, and
Ecto is available as loose mail or in digest form.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |