Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori--What do you really think?

From: ledgerj@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Jim Ledger)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1992 17:37:48 EST
Subject: Re: Tori--What do you really think?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: netnews@sei.cmu.edu (Netnews)

In article <1992Dec10.175801.2463@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:

>>>making up in musical invention what she lacks [...]
>
>>fault, just like TKI wasn't KaTe's fault.  But I really don't think Tori
>>has demonstrated a total capacity for musical invention higher than KaTe's,
>>merely a better ability to write on/play piano.
>
>Well, I have to disagree here.  I think Tori's arrangements were the first
>thing that drew me to her...LE's sound is so fresh and appropriate that even
>if her arrangements aren't original they sure as hell sound that way.  Again
>we have the quality vs. quantity thing; if you set me down with a Fairlight
>and all the resources at Kate's command, I think I could probably dish out
>some pretty amazing stuff too.  Let's face it; when you're working with
>non-traditional instruments, you can make things sound really inventive.
>It's harder to sound original on piano; Tori does it, Kate doesn't.  I

Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree with your apparent premise that elaborate
equipment can improve the quality of a musical composition. If you can't
write well, no amount of technical wizardry will disguise the fact. I do *not*
think it is fair to imply that Kate's perceived originality stems from her use
of the Fairlight -- indeed, the Fairlight is a somewhat cliched instrument
these days. It's really her musical vision that sets her apart for me -- her
ability to compose truly groundbreaking material like The Ninth Wave or
anything off TD. LE is a great album, but it doesn't demonstrate that Tori
has the same breadth of ability that Kate possesses. Perhaps later albums
will.

Jim