Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 18:43:38 GMT
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: sTuff
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1992 18:43:35 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin) writes:
>OK, "The Dreaming" doesn't have a theme in the way The Who's "Tommy"
>does, but I never said it did.  Yet it works as a cohesive whole;

[long explanation excised]

i understand what you're saying about unrelated pieces contributing to the
consistent feel of the overall work but i still don't think you can pin that
down to any unifying "theme" of the songs.  in a harlan ellison or kurt
vonnegut collection of short stories, the individual stories have nothing in
common but the fact that they are all written by a singular talent with a
well-defined style gives you that "cohesive" feeling.  one of my fave bands,
the legendary pink dots, are a prime example of this - their lead singer
readily acknowledges it as well and says that EVERYTHING he does, whether
it's for LPD, or his solo project, or something he's working on with other
artists, is part of his "Terminal Kaleidoscope" (that's the name he's chosen
for his oeuvre).  so, i grant you that The Dreaming *sounds* like a unified
piece but I wouldn't say it's because of any underlying theme - it's just
got a lot of the same sounds on each track.  the huge woody Hugh Padgham
drum sound, for instance.  TSW is the same - the songs are unrelated but
they are all murky sounding and badly recorded, thus lending an air of
cohesiveness to the production overall...

>- Stev0 the English Lit. Groupie

jondr the english b.a.

--
Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com