Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My first KaTe experience

From: marc@owlnet.rice.edu (Marc Bennett Hirsh)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 17:47:10 GMT
Subject: My first KaTe experience
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rice.edu (News)

My sister used to listen to Kate a lot, and I would make fun of both of
them, my sister for listening and Kate for having such a silly voice
(please forgive me, I was young and foolish). But, the music was slowly
creeping into my brain. So one day I was looking through the records at
the local library when I ran across "The Whole Story." A combination of
remembering some of the songs and falling instantly in love with the
incredibly beautiful cover picture made me check it out. After listening
a few times and falling more in love with some of the inner pictures, I
purchased "Hounds of Love" and was... moderately impressed. I liked it
more each time I heard it, though, so I bought "The Kick Inside," which
has its moments, but isn't great, IMHO. So, a little later I got a CD
player and went to a record store where they were having a sale, and
"The Dreaming" was $9.99. I remembered liking "Sat In Your Lap" so I
bought it. And this is where it really took off. I must have listened
to this album 10 times in the next week, partly because it was one of
2 CDs that I owned (the other being Crowded House's "Temple of Low Men,"
a great album BTW), but also because I was completely amazed. The only
other album I have now is "The Sensual World" (does "Little Eartquakes"
count?:), but I believe "Never For Ever" will be next.

Also, because I was so damned intrigued by "Wuthering Heights" the song,
I decided to read the book to perhaps see what the hell Kate was singing
about. Be prepared for a shock because this is probably the first time
you will hear of a 15 year old male not being able to put this book
down. I couldn't stop reading it because I had to know what happened
next. When a teacher in school asked me what was the last good book we
read and I said, "Wuthering Heights," not ONE of my classmates believed
that A) I LIKED it and B) I read it for myself and not for a class. To
this day, it remains my absolute favorite piece of literature, and I
have Kate Bush to thank for it. Perhaps Ulysses will be next...
--
Marc Hirsh (marc@owlnet.rice.edu)

"`Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor, get rid of
   it,' got it."
   --- snappy end-of-file sign-off rip-off quote from The Jerk

\ /
 ^ --- ugly red source of all evil Bill and Ted ripoff quotes