Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: brenta@microsoft.COM
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 92 18:17:30 PST
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: brenta@microsoft.com (Brent Aliverti)
Subject: The Innocence Mission
Date: 10 Nov 92 02:15:25 GMT

In article <9211051821.AA12119@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> kirsten@morgan.ucs.mun.ca wrote:

Re: THE INNOCENCE MISSION

> Hmmm.  Interesting.  I got this album as a review copy for the student paper
> here, and didn't like it at ALL.  I couldn't understand a word the singer was
> saying.  All the songs sounded the same, and all but one or two seemed
> practically tuneless.
>
> I'm a big fan of Tori, Sarah, Jane, and Kate, too.
>
> Any other opinions?

Wow.  I have to strongly disagree.  I think this is definitely an album that
rewards repeated listenings.  I first got a cassette of this from a friend
who worked at a record store.  On first listen, I sort of dismissed them
as Kate Bush clones (the lead singer, Karen Perris, even has a look similar
to Kate (IMHO)).  Anyway, a couple weeks went by and something was nagging
at me to give it another chance, so I did.

I found their music to be very melodic.  Karen's vocals are sweet, but
never shrill.  Their guitars are somewhat folky, similar to the Sundays', but
more electric at times.  The lyrics seem very heartfelt, being introspective,
uplifting, and sad at that same time.  In particular, I found "Notebook" to be
a wonderful song.

Subtleties come out with repeated listens.  Songs that at first sound the same,
diverge.  (Incidentally, my first exposure to David Sylvian was "Secrets of the
Beehive".  I thought a lot of the songs sounded the same.  But again, with
repeated listenings, subtle nuances come out that give each song it's own color.)

The (Innocence Mission) album is now out-of-print I believe, but I've seen some
copies in cut-out racks for $6.99 CD (in the Seattle area, at least).

My advice is: Give it a listen and decide for yourself.

Brent Aliverti     brenta@microsoft.com