Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Sensual Joyce

From: fmcquarr@sfu.ca
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 12:32:18 PST
Subject: The Sensual Joyce
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Thanks for the posting comparing Ulysses to The Sensual World - it was
fascinating. One point that struck me was that at the very end where
Kate Bush says "And I whispered yes...but not yet.." the Joyce words are
"I will, yes". I always point out that line in the song to people who say
wow, what a great song, she sounds like she's really h**ny (or rude words
to that effect) - to show that it is not just an expression of lust but
is bigger than that.
Another example would be the line "If it slipped between my breasts/he's
(oops, he'd) rescue it...." and the Joyce original which is "I held him
close to me so he could feel my breasts".
 Anyone care to speculate on why she chose to put in these - distancing? -
changes from the original?

Fiona McQuarrie
fmcquarr@sfu.ca