Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

irish group Clannad: question

From: jonathan@cats.ucsc.edu (Jonathan Cano)
Date: 24 Oct 1992 05:30:58 GMT
Subject: irish group Clannad: question
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I just discovered the group Clannad this week when a friend who
I car pool with bought a tape of theirs - _Anam_ .

Anyways, there is a really nice duet the Bono (from U2) sings with
Maire Brennan (the groups female vocalist).  Scott, my friend, lent
me this tape today and I was reading through the lyric sheet while
listening to _In a Lifetime_ and there is a part that Bono sings
that doesn't sound like it matches up with the lyric sheet.  The
lyric sheet lists:

unless the sound has faded from your soul
unless it disappears

      .
      .
      .

After several close listenings I still can't convince myself that
Bono is singing "has faded from your" in the first line above.  Further
more I have no idea what he might be singing.  Does anybody have
any clues and/or opinions???

By the way, the album is fairly good and I would recommend it to
anyone who is interested in nices vocals and music with a slightly
irish folk sound to it (I'm told their other albums show a stronger
folk influence).  I also think the the duet with Bono is the best
song on the album, and one of his better efforts.  I hope I hear
a lot more collaborative efforts from them (well, in can't hurt to
fantasize ... :^).

I also heard the Peter Gablriel's new album and thought it wasn't too
bad ... I probably would have recieved it better if I hadn't heard
all the press release muck about "...mecca for international musicians ..."
or what ever it was that I kept hearing...  I liked Sinnead O'connor's
vocals on the 1st song ... (how did I ever remember ^^^^^^^^ how to
spell her name I'll never know >8'q )

Wouldn't it be nice if KaTe herself gave us something to talk about?
Say, an new album - naw that'd be asking too much :^)

-Jonathan
| Jonathan Cano             |     //   _   |
| jonathan@cats.ucsc.edu    | \\ //   (_)  |
| 8kyu (+- 2kyu)            |  \X/     |<  |