Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Heterogeneity (Tori)

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 92 00:47:39 GMT
Subject: Heterogeneity (Tori)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

My, my, my, but my fellow Kate worshippers are intolerant!  Seems to me that
there is a distinct sense of conservatism and, well, anal retention creeping
into this newsgroup.  To quote Alien 3: "This is rumour control, here are
the facts."
	Fact 1: There exist some Kate fans who also like Tori Amos and Peter
Gabriel.  I say "there exist" to keep things factual; in actuality I'm sure
that we can agree that those two artists appeal to just about the same
audience in many cases.  Fact 2: One newsgroup is much more convenient than
three.  If I can read about my favorite artists in one place, I'd prefer it
that way.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't have
time to page through a zillion newsgroups looking for the information I
want.  It's easier simply to check for new articles in one newsgroup.  Fact
3: One must admit that Tori and Peter have a certain similarity to Kate,
musically speaking.  It's not as if we have to page through news on every
single alternative group in existence...I myself am guilty of (gasp)
mentioning Suzanne Vega and REM here, but I try to control myself.  Fact 4:
There is a feature which comes in very handy when posting.  It's a little
line you type to indicate the Subject of your posting.  Now, if everyone
writing about Tori or Peter indicated this using the Subject line, those of
you who are uninterested in reading about anyone besides the Goddess
Herself can simply skip over these articles.  If your newsreader doesn't do
that...well then, simply skip ahead to the next article.  I don't think the
flow of non-Kate stuff is thick enough to cause any major inconvenience.
Fact 5: You're behaving like a bunch of snotty little kids with your own
clubhouse.  Knock it off; you make the rest of us look bad and drive away
potential subscribers.
	I can understand how you might prefer to keep a newsgroup entitled
"rec.music.gaffa" to its initially intended subject...but it's not really
worth all this flaming, now is it?  To all those who have the good taste to
also like Tori and Peter: just do the purists a favor and indicate "Tori
News" or "Info on Peter," so your fellow subscribers won't get upset at your
musical diversity.  Thank you.
	Sheesh.

	--Kashka (a.k.a. Andrew D. Simchik)

	The U of R?  Agree with me?  You've got to be kidding.
	(That was a disclaimer, wasn't it?  I thought so.)