Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sweeney

From: markp@serpens.sbi.com (Mark P*)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 92 15:15:01 EDT
Subject: Sweeney
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

This sweeney business. I`ve seen a dozen or so
posts on this, but no-one has really covered it
in detail, so there is still confusion.

Just to put in my two ha'pence worth.

1. Yes there was a person called Sweeney Todd,
who used to run a barber-shop in Fleet street
in Olde London towne. This fellow was engaged
in the (un)savory business of turning his customers
into pie-filling. This is not the Sweeney referred to.

2. Yes there was a Musical called 'Sweeney Todd, the
demon barber of Fleet street'. This is not the
Sweeney referred to.

3. London cockney rhyming slang has:
Sweeney Todd=Flying Squad
in the same way that:
Apples & Pears=Stairs
Frog & Toad=Road
etc.
The Flying Squad are a group within Scotland Yard
who deal with dangerous crimes (I may be slightly off
here and I'm not going to go into what Scotland Yard is.)

4. Sweeney Todd=Flying Squad is such a well-known euphemism
in London that a major Police TV series in the UK, about the
Flying Squad was called 'The Sweeney'. Very macho.
This is the Sweeney referred to.

Case closed? no...I thought not. :)