Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Sounds Interview PART II *****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 92 00:10:27 PDT
Subject: *** Sounds Interview PART II *****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        This is the second part of a 1980 Sounds interview with Kate
that was just reprinted in Never For Ever.  The first part was printed
last issue and the final part will be next issue.  I don't remember if
I transcribed the first part, as it was mainly "comentary".

        Which reminds me, has anyone out (aside from Scott) ordered and
received a copy of KATE BUSH: THE FIRST TWELVE YEARS?  I ordered it
months ago and have now gotten THREE copies of their fan mag (which I
ordered with the same check) but NO book!!  I'm "itchin" to transcribe
any "new" articles the book might have that I don't.

        I asked Kate about Moving, the first song on The Kick Inside
and her most fitting blend of word and sound so far.  "It's a complete
evocation of the movement of the dancer, speaking with his limbs, sense
through sensuality, as sexy as his 'beauty's potency', the dancer and
the watcher in harmony like lovers."
        So I asked her what whale noises were doing in there.  "Whales
say everything about 'moving'.  It's huge and beautiful, intelligent,
soft inside a tough body.  It weighs a ton and yet it's so light it
floats.  It's the whole thing about human communication - 'moving
liquid, yet you are just as water' - what the chinese say about being
the cup the water moves in to.  The whales are pure movement and pure
sound, calling for something, so lonely and sad..."
        "On the ground they're ppff (splodging sound), but in the water
they're 'wahoo!'  Which is the way with a lot of dancers."      The
song/dance dovetail is one of the ideals she's pursued in her stage
show, TV special, and video's.  She can trace her love of movement back
to when she was a tot.
        "My father told me I used to dance to the music on the telly.
I remember it vaguely.  It was completely un-selfconscious and I wasn't
aware of people looking at me.  One day some people came into the room,
saws me and laughed and from that moment I stopped doing it.  I think
maybe I've been trying to get back there ever since."
        Moving is dedicated to Lindsay Kemp who led her into
rediscovering herself with an inspiring performance and a series of 50p
lessons in public the classes he gave. [Huh?]
        "He needed a song written to him.  He opened up my eyes to the
meanings of movement.  He makes you feel so good.  If you've got two
left feet it's 'you dance like an angel darling.'  He fills people up,
you're an empty glass and glug, glug, glug, he's filled you with
champagne."
        With dance, mime, and elaborate costume, Kate's performances
are hardly your standard rough and ready rock shows.  They are
rehearsed down to fine detail and she values exact execution far about
'spontaneity', which again scores black marks against her name in some
books.  So it was interesting to hear her reactions to the last night
of the tour when nothing went according to plan.
        "The roadies were all very creative people and suddenly as a
sort of goodbye to us, they were all joining in the show.  There were
crowds of cowboys and indians, a crocodile.  During Egypt a panto camel
walked in.  I went after it and it tried to run away, but I got it by
the tail, pulled it back and there were these voices protesting from
inside, 'leggo!'"
        That is, she loved it.  Kate Bush wants to create an illusion,
not a machine.
        "My imagination runs like a non-stop B-movie with me as the
star - unless I'm daydreaming about sport in which case I'm always the
commentator for reasons I'll leave to the psychoanalysts amongst you.
It gives me excitement, a savour of heroism, free trial runs of
situations I expect to face.
        Kate agreed it was her version of that parallel reality which
went into most of her songs, stories so far away from the suburban
convent schoolgirl.
        "For instance, I really like guns.  NOt what they do, but
detach them from their purpose and they're... fantastic, beautiful.
And yet, they're designed to kill which is against everything I believe
in."
        She talked in relish about the gun used by the assassin in Day
Of The Jackel and with fascinated horror about dum-dum bullets (she was
well up on the technical details).
        "How someone can even thin about lining a bullet with mercury
so that it rips another human apart is incredible.  I'd never shoot
anything living at all.  I was always given dolls when I was a little
girl of course, so maybe if they had given me guns I wouldn't have had
this thing.  Unless I'm trying to get back at all these people shooting
me..."
        She looked at Mike and he countered with an astute enquiry
about the routine she did on stage with James and the Cold Gun which
produced the much used stills showing her licking the rifle barrel and
firing from the crotch, raw phallic gestures.  She skipped around that
for a moment though.
        I was brought up on movies: love, revenge, and death.  Violence
when used correctly can be a brilliant instrument in entertainment.  Or
it can be disgusting.  Normally in James we used bits of red felt to
represent blood, but one night we used capsule and spurted the stuff
all over the place and the audience loved it.  They like strong
imagery.
        Throughout the interview she kept coming back to films, TV and
other peoples art, as the starting points for many of her songs.
Forever fantasy.  She excepted it:
        "Each of them comes from something that makes me go Wow!  Most
of the films I've drawn from were shown when I was a kid, which is
strange.  They've taken ten years to work through my system and go
"Ooee".  I know if makes me a thief, but the material is digested and
changed, like with "The Infant Kiss".  In fact it's very difficult
using a film story because they're so long and you have to precis so
much.  Sometimes I feel I only get half of it across."
        Another of her favorite fantasies is the exotic setting,
There's Saxophone Song in Berlin, Kashka From Baghdad and Egypt.  She
hadn't been to any of these places and ignorance seems almost a
necessity to her to preserve a pure, free flow of imagination.
        Saxophone Song was one of her earliest, written when she was
about 15.  It curled us in closer to the roots of her music:
        "Sometimes chord structures make you think of a place... and I
love saxophones so I wanted to write a song about them.  I think of a
beautiful sax like a human being, a sensuous shining man being taken
over by the instrument.  The perfect setting was this smokey bar in
Berlin with nobody listening except me in a corner, the streams of
light flashing off it to me, pa pa (explosion noises).
        In the song she is a 'surly lady in tremor... You'll never know
you had all of me.'  Mike suggested that Freud would have made a meal
of this one too, and this time, as she's fond of phrasing it, she broke
through the barrier.
        "I'm very basic," she said.  "I wasn't thinking of it as
phallic when I wrote the song, but I do now when I see a sax player.  I
feel as if everyone understood the real things I'm, it wouldn't be much
good, it wouldn't help me.  If it seems harmless on the surface that's
all right.  I don't want to upset people who don't want to know.  There
are enough people, thank God, who have seen it.  They're listening with
their hearts.
        "The sax is a very sexual sound, all vibrating, resonating -
like bowels.  Look at photos of musicians playing any instruments and
it could be interpreted... it's not always sexual, but mainly.  You are
cuddling the instrument, you are seducing each other.  Guitarists are
up there so obviously waking with their guitars, but it's open,
beautiful, it's at a love level."
        Kate Bush is in an awkward position.  She pour out passion
unbridled, and then hopes that only the 'right' people will notice.
For instance, she would hate The News of The World to understand her
though they're welcome to print her picture any time they like.  So far
her luck has held.  Her acceptable show biz face has proved a perfect
disguise under the spotlight.

[Part III in a few months!]

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)