Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

10K Maniacs, Wish, AFTP and Rolling Stone in general

From: LUIGI VERCOTTI <MIHARKI@INDSVAX1.INDSTATE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1992 19:41 EST
Subject: 10K Maniacs, Wish, AFTP and Rolling Stone in general
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I too am disappointed with _Our Time In Eden_  My favourites are,
"Noah's Dove" "These Are Days" and "I'm Not The Man."  "Eden" and
"Jezebel" aren't too bad, the rest are just kinda there.  I like
_Wish_ though.  It's been awhile since I've listened to it. (I've
been getting loads of new stuff)  So I can't give much in the way
of details at the moment, but I don't think it's that bad.  I
also like _Automatic For The People_  IMHO, it has a different
sound from the other recordings I have of them, which is good in
itself.  I'd be disappointed if they made another "pick any
recording you like"  I'd rather have them do something new,
instead of just staying with one sound.  Rolling Stone, in
general, is not a good place to read reviews of albums.  I know,
I used to subscribe to it (for about 3 yrs).  They are definitely
biased in their opinions.  They love some bands/artists and hate
other bands/artists.  If they like a band, the recording will get
a good review (no matter how good it is) and if they don't like a
band, the recording will get a bad review (no matter how good it
is).  I finally gave up when they gave Yes's _Union_ 1 and a 1/2
stars while giving Cinderella's new release (at that time) 3
stars.  I will probably never understand how this can be
justified.  Granted that _Union_ is not Yes's best work, it has
to be better than what Cinderella does (did?)  If nothing else,
they're use of the voice as an instrument is much more
interesting than any Cinderella song I may have accidentally
heard.  Well, I've gone on (vented?) enough....

Kevin

"...I enjoy stealing..."