Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WoW!?!

From: fmcquarr@sfu.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 13:05:02 PDT
Subject: WoW!?!
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Regarding WOW: I agree that it is more a song about a bad actor. "He'll
never make the screen/He'll never make the Sweeney/or be that movie
queen". My interpretation is that the poor fellow in question is so
bad that he will not even get a part on a rotten TV cop show.

However, that does not mean the song is not about homosexuality. In the
video, KB sings "He's too busy hitting the vaseline" while sticking
out her bum and patting it, which would seem to imply the - uh -
other use of the substance. (And in any case, isn't it cold cream that
takes off greasepaint). I personally don't see this as being pro- or anti-
gay, just a statement that the actor in question is either too busy
pursuing his love life or is too "swishy" (OK, OK, flame me now and
believe me later) to be cast in macho tough guy parts.

ANd while we're on the subject: I never perceived a sexual element in
Running Up that Hill. I just saw it as a statement that the characters
wanted to "exchange the experience", i.e. live each other's lives so
they could understand how they hurt each other and interact with each
other. "Running up that hill/running up that building" could be
male/female related (e.g. building as phallic symbol) but I always
heard it more as wanting to know what the other person does and thinks
in their day to day life, facing challenges.

Boy I'm sure glad I am a graduate student so I have all day to contemplate
these weighty matters :)