Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Whole Wow! Thing

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 16:59:21 GMT
Subject: This Whole Wow! Thing
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

Okay.

Point 1: Kate pats her bottom while singing that line in the
Hammersmith video.  This, to me, does not imply greasepaint, unless perhaps
it's a production of Oh! Calcutta!

Point 2: Although Vaseline is a hellish makeup remover (I know this from
experience), it's possible that the problem this actor has is that he will
never make the movies because he's stuck doing theatre.  Hitting the
Vaseline in this case would mean that he's doing theatre instead of movies,
where a different sort of makeup would be used.  This, to me, tends to fit
more with the song's tone, which seems to be negative as regards theatre.

Point 3: From Points 1 and 2 we can conclude that one of them carries the
wrong opinion, or that Kate intended a double meaning.  This, to me, seems
the most accurate and generalized interpretation.

Point 4: I think the line "he'll never...be that movie queen" implies some
sort of sexual difference, if not outright homosexuality.  The overtones of
that verse seem to say that this actor is not good enough; his stage deaths
aren't convincing, therefore "he'll never make the screen," he'll never be
in movies--thus, he will continue to hit the vaseline.  QED.

Point 5: Any more thoughts on Kashka's gender?  Has Kate ever mentioned this
in interviews?

--Kashka (Andrew D. Simchik)
I do not speak for U of R.