Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ron Hill UPdate

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 00:38:01 PDT
Subject: Ron Hill UPdate
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        Hello everyone.  Sorry I haven't been all that active here
lately (aside from the faq and quotes), but I've been going through
massive (and positive) changes the last seven weeks.  I haven't even
worked on Cloudbusting/Deeper Understanding at all during this time!
*GASP* :-)

        Welcome to the Homeground crew.  Thanks to Peter for his kind
words on Cloudbusting.  (wait'll you see Deeper Understanding).  I'm
almost certain that you do, in fact, have the second (and latest)
edition of Cloudbusting, which came out back in April of this year (the
first edition came out last year).   Are there still any plans for a
computerized version of FIVE YEARS AGO (my favorite HOMEGROUND
section).  Why did Kate decide it was not a good idea to release the
odd's and sod's discs????  If there are any of the articles that I've
compiled lately that you need, let me know and I can shoot em off to

you.
        I guess I'm in the minority regarding Peter Gabriel's US album.
 IE, I don't like it so much.  People have in the past drawn analogies
between Kate and Peter's albums as in Security and The Dreaming being
simulur and The Hounds of Love and So being simular.  I would tend to
extend this to say US and The Sensual World being simular, in that they
both are somewhat disappointing.  I think the best way to sum up how I
feel about US is that the songs all seem to be _about_ things more so
then being _experiences_ of things.  A famed review of Peter's past
work said something like "you don't listen to a Peter Gabriel album so
much as _experience_ it" and that's what is missing, for me.
Apparently Peter's gone through a lot of therapy lately and the album
sounds a lot like someone _sitting_ and talking about various parts of
their life, rather then projecting the experience through the music.
So far none of the songs have effected me like several of the songs
from each of his last couple of albums.
        Needless to say this is simply my opinion and it may change
tommorrow, five years from now, etc.

        Regarding the description of the Trio that someone (no name
that I could find), firstly you state that Kate was not the first
"popular" musician to notice them.  Kate first "noticed" them back
around 1985 and went to work with them before they became "big", though
the album came out after.  Were there other "popular" artists that
worked with them before they were popular in the west?  Also, you state
that you presume she worked with the Trio rather then the whole choir
due to "economics".  I don't believe Kate has mentioned the Choir at
all, and has always said that it was the _Trio_ on the tape that she
heard way back when, though it's almost certain she's heard the whole
Choir by now.  So I think it's more likely that she worked with the
Trio only cause that's what she wanted.

        In regards to RUTH and the sexual element, I should say that
when I first heard it, and the first couple of years after that, it
seemed to me to be entirely a song about sex.  I never took the trouble
to try to read the lyrics (which I didn't have anyways) and that
reading of the song made sense, due to the feel of the song.  ALthough
I've, of course, since learned that Kate wrote it about two lovers who
wish they could swap place so that they could understand each other
better, etc.  Still, the sexual aspect of the song is (for me) still
very strong, as it is for many people when they first hear the song.
It's also difficult to know to what extent the "problems in their
relationship" were sexual.

        Time to remember what Kate's said:

        "It means a lot to me if people are interpreting the music in
the way that I originally wanted it to be done.  But, I do feel that
music is a bit like a painting, in that when you buy a painting, it's
because you like it.  And what is important is your interpretation of
what it means.  That's why it means so much to you.  I think that
applies to records as well.
        "But, as long as people are getting enjoyment out of them, I
don't think it matters to me.  It doesn't worry me if they don't
understand the way that I'd hoped they would. But of course it's always
nice if they do." - KATE BUSH   (1983, Voc'l)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA