Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: US+US+US+US+US

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 92 18:59 CDT
Subject: Re: US+US+US+US+US
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9209280834.AA12422@relay1.UU.NET> you write:

>Hi,
>
>I spent a very gabrielized weekend with the brand-new US. I listened to
>it five or six times and here are my impressions.

>CAUTION:
>Those of you who want to have a surprise shouldn't read further!

Last week a local station played a two-hour special on Peter. It
was recorded in a studio in Hollywood with an audience of fans.
The interviewer (Red Beard, I swear, that's what it sounded like)
asked questions, but the audience didn't get to ask any.

A few songs from _US_ were played, as well as some older songs.
The impression I got was that they were trying to stick to the
more "mainstream" and better-known songs.

Here are my impressions of the new songs played. Dirk, it seems our
tastes are *very* similar. (My favorite older solo song is "San
Jacinto" - what's yours?)

>Come talk to me - a copy of Biko, with bagpipes  :-(

:-| to this one, I reserve judgement until I hear a properly
uncompressed and loud version.

>Love to be loved - the highlight of US (IMHO), very melodic  8-)

Yes. Of the songs I heard, this was my favorite.

>Blood of Eden - the successor of Don't give up, with the difference that
>                Sinead only does the backing vocals in the chorus
>                (reminds me to Paul Simon). Another highlight  8-)

I was *so* pissed off that this didn't appear on the _Until the End of
the World_ soundtrack. Now I'm happy again.

>Steam - the soul/funk version of Quiet steam, a copy of Big time :-|

I didn't like this one at *all*. :-(

>Only us - very inapproachable, like The family and the fishing net  :-)
>Washing of the water - a gospel-like piano ballad, could be from PG1 :-)

These weren't played.

>Digging in the dirt - no comment  :-)

Well, I love this song. it's even better after seeing the video at least
once, to get a deeper feel for what the song's all about.

>Fourteen black paintings - similar to We do what we're told  :-)

Not played. Can't wait to hear it.

>Kiss that frog - maybe the rockiest song he ever did, with distorted
>                 guitar and organ and harmonica  :-|

:-( but maybe it will grow on me.

>Secret world - a floating song with a U2-like guitar  :-)

I liked this one quite a bit.

A record store 2 blocks away from where I work is opening early to sell
the CD. It will be on sale too, so I'm going to pick it up on my way
to work. It will be *torture* to have it in my possesion all day long
and not be able to listen to it!!

>Dirk
>(now waiting for the new Kate Bush and Happy Rhodes albums)

You bet!!

>Has anybody heard the new Judie Tzuke album Wonderland? It's great! :)

I saw it in a store, but it cost $24.00 :-( so it will have to wait.
Any comparisons to her other albums?